Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Me And The GOP


Today I had a funny experience while getting a manicure. The guy who does my nails is of course, Vietnamese. He is a great guy of few words (English that is) but when he was applying for his citizenship a few years ago he asked me lots of questions about our government, as I recall.

So we are into the process of great nails in 43 minutes which incidentally, I love. Where else can go and come out feeling lovely in just 43 minutes? For "jus 3 dolla mo" who knows what you can come out with? (That was for those of you that have seen that hilarious video on Utube about getting your nails done!) Sorry for the digression.

Anyway, we are watching John Edward suspend his candidacy and Vince goes,

"Bonnie, what GOP?" Well, that stand for Grand Old Party, Vince."
" Huh?" What means that?" " Oh it is a nickname for the Republican Party that originated after the civil war."
" Really a party?" The quizzical look on his face was priceless.
"No, Vince, it is not a party, it is a group." " Oh...slience.
" You know it's like saying the Good Old Guys."
Long pause...I see, ummm, old guy party?"
" Well, now that you mention it...
" OK, let's see... it is like a gang name. "
Ohhhhh, OK , OK, OK.......no problem...I got it!"

I am so glad Vince didn't ask me about the elephant and the donkey!



It was very funny. Our language is so weird sometimes. These lovely hands are forming a big W for a reason!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Berry nice story. I think you and dis Vince guy got somting going on. be careful

Bonnie said...

No, I have not taken up talking to myself...that first comment was from dad...I was signed in on his computer and forgot to sign out. Sorry Jim Bob!

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

Again you are hilarious! I love it, as I read that I can totally imagine myself sitting there talking with your nail guy. Love it! Thanks for making me smile today!

laura.elizabeth said...

Been there- and I can totally hear this conversation in my head. Thanks for sharing.