Sunday, February 17, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing


While driving to church this morning I was listening to NPR and they were interviewing a chef from a posh restaurant in Washington, D.C. whose name escapes me. Anyway, he was talking about making soufflles and about eggs in general. He said that you should never crack an egg on the side of a bowl but rather on a flat surface so that you avoid getting any tiny shards of the shell in your mixing bowl.

I am afraid mine would look like the one to above on the counter top but you ladies who actually do this kind of stuff are probably better at it than me. Also he noted that you cannot have any "little goldfish" or streaks of yoke in the white for making the meringue as the fat in the yoke does not allow for optimum air to infiltrate the egg white. Always use a hand whisk and stop mixing the minute the white peaks and loses its shine.

Hmmm, I just had a flash that you probably already know this...it was however news to me! I am very egg-cited. (I mean to crack the egg on a flat surface not to make a souffle!)

3 comments:

Gail Victoria said...

Here's another thing about eggs that I found out:

If you are going to beat egg whites make sure that the bowl is very clean and cold and that whatever you are going to beat the egg whites with is cold also.

I learned this on one of my favorite food shows - Good Eats - and it worked great. Best egg whites I have ever had.

However, when baking make sure that everything is at room temperature.

Any other "egg tips" out there?

Oh, I bought my first eggs from Trader Joes and they were some of the freshest I have gotten - and fresh does make a difference in the taste of eggs.

Also, on another cooking show, The Barefoot Contessa, she suggests breaking eggs into a separate bowl not into whatever you're making in case you run into a bad egg you don't ruin the whole dish!

Thanks Bon.

Jo Schaffer said...

Hey- I am glad I found this blog- your family is such a part of my past in Concord 2nd ward. xoxjo
Check out my blog anytime- there are links to all the rest of my siblings and parents blogs on my site

D and C said...

I am so glad that you let us know, especially if I am ever in a conversation with chef's, I can use this info to make me sound REALLY cheffy? lol!!! I loved it! Thanks for the info!