Thursday, March 6, 2008

Don't Leave Home Without It!

In February a house that Laura and I had staged several months ago burned down, thanks to an arsonist. The sale was in process and so fortunately most of our things were in the garage and only received minor smoke damage. Everything upstairs was lost from our inventory and the house is almost a total loss. Since an investigation has been underway I haven't even filed a claim yet, but it has gotten me thinking about our house and the things I would not like to see burned up. Of course that would be everything in the house~ but some things take priority.

So if you are walking by our house and see some smoke..please run in and rescue this first:
Hard Drive Backup in the office cabinet which has all our family pictures on it...then swing through the master for this:

One of my parents' two wedding gifts~the other~ six unhemmed dish towels!

This picture is a prized possession for me. It was given to my parent's by their best friends on the day they got married. September 28, 1941. I love the picture and it has been with me from birth until we got married and then I reclaimed it when Mom could no longer live at home.

I love it because it reminds me always of the most important things in life~my Faith in the Savior and His Gifts to us, especially the Atonement and Our Forever Family.

What would you grab first?

4 comments:

V and Co. said...

ahhh, my children! then the computer hard drive,then important documents, and then i'd start crying because everything in my house is either second hand or found and it all has sooo many wonderful one of a kind memories!

Bonnie said...

I know what you mean, Vanessa. Almost everything in our house is old or second hand or has been reclaimed in someway. That is the fun of it I guess. You should only surround yourself with things you love.

D and C said...

SO TRUE. I often think about what things I would grab in a situation like that, and I seriously cannot narrow it down. What a sad thing for someone to do. Shame on them. I so want to come with you sometime and see how you work your magic, would you mind?

Bonnie said...

We'll have to see if we can do that, Deanna. It would be fun!