Sunday, April 20, 2008

Buyer's Remorse

Shopping in Italy was pretty fun! We didn't do that much but it was fun to look. I am kind of funny about vacation souvenirs though, I am not a big one for the stuff with the name of the place stamped on it...i.e., a spoon with a picture of The Vatican on it. You probably aren't either. Actually, who does buy that stuff?

My basic philosophy is that the vacation memory is the souvenir and I would rather enjoy the country than spend time in a lot of shops~but the jewelry shops were pretty much irresistible to Laura and me. But who likes to shop with a grandpa and two kids in tow? And it is more miserable for them than us...so...what to do? Whenever Grampa and the boys went off on one of their adventures we would shop. Those times were very contrived by Jim and we both appreciated it so much. It was very thoughtful of him along with offering him the perfect opportunity to not have to go shopping himself! What is a vacation without a little girl time anyway, I ask you?

I did buy a few pretty scarves and a few bracelets. The one below is my favorite. It is more of a cherry red glass than the photo shows and the spot in the center of each piece of glass is kind of an iridescent goldish orange that really is pretty in the light. I hemmed and hawed about getting it and then just decided to do it. I am so glad I did.

The photo does not do it justice in anyway!

Have you ever had buyer's remorse? Not the kind where you bought something and decided afterwards it wasn't such a great idea, but the kind where you should have bought something and then didn't? I guess technically that would be non-buyer's remorse.

The island of Murano, on the lagoon where Venice is located is the place they make all the Venetian Glass~jewelry~chandeliers.. and everything glass you can imagine. Like Rick Steves says Venice is like a cookie jar and no one is looking. That is what these jewelry shops were like.

There is another little island called Burano not far away and they also have lots of the glass jewels. I want to do a whole post on that island but that is where Laura and I saw this one type of bracelet we both fell in love with. We hemmed and hawed again, but this time we left the bracelets there. Big mistake. I have thought of that bracelet every day since we returned. So has Laura. So now we have to figure out how we can get one...dumb! We should have just gotten them then.

I guess the only option now is to go back! Not a half bad idea..I guess we were not really saving any $ by passing them by the first time. Hmmmm! Live and learn!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, at least you have a great excuse to go back to Italy!!! What fun! I hate having regrets, but great way to switch it into something to look forward to!

V and Co. said...

i am sooo into jewlery right now! please post more pics! love that bracelet!

laura.elizabeth said...

My Friend got back from Venice yesterday and said she spent the whole day on the Island of Burano. I was so sad I didn't ask her to pick the braclets up for us. Now I have double non buyers remorse. AHHHH!

laura.elizabeth said...

Mom was right, the bracelet she bought i much prettier than the picture shows- I love it and am so glad she has it as a souvenir from our trip!