Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Presidential Political Poppycock

I almost ran this yesterday but thought it would be passe with Hilary's eminent concession. This woman, like a bad case of nail fungus~just refuses to go away no matter what you do.

"John McCain, Hillary Clinton and Barack were walking down a Washington, D.C. street when they came upon a homeless man.

John McCain gave the man his business card and told him to come to his office for a job. He then took $20 out of his pocket and give it to the man.

Hillary Clinton was very impressed, so when they came upon another homeless person she decided to help. She walked over to him and gave him directions to the welfare office. She then reached into John McCain's pocket and got out $20. She kept $15 for her administrative fees and gave the homeless man $5.

When they came upon yet another homeless person, Barack told him to "have hope . . . change is coming . . ." and gave him nothing."

You will rarely see me publish anything too political on my blog, but in this election year I am going to do a few. This is my opinion on the whole politics arena. No one person can politically "fix" the mess we are in right now as a society. The problems are too systemic and too complex. To make empty promises for resolution and to come up with moronic, shoot-from-the-hip, instant solutions, is ludicrous.

The problems we face daily can only be remedied over time by each person doing their part. The basic unit of society, the family, is the place where real change will take place. In the heart of each person is the potential for fixing the ills of the culture. The family is where we form our values and practice responsible living, love for our fellow ma
n, basic civility, integrity, and the like. A good family teaches us how to be decent humans. These things cannot be legislated and they certainly take longer than a four or eight year term in office affords.

I want lower gas prices, an end to the war in Iraq, more economical stability, and good health care for everyone too...wanting it and getting it are not the same thing and no political platform has a magic wand powerful enough to insure it.


The game of politics is just annoying to me and I am really tired of people that are arch enemies for several months and then overnight decide they want to "unify the party" and run on the same ticket! What they really believe and want (aside from power) will always remain a mystery in the thing we call "politics." And how they think they can make it happen is an even bigger mystery.


I am tired of voting for the "best" of two evils. I am also tired of the system that uses the electoral college so my entire state swings in one direction or another. Does anyone actually know any of these delegates that have the final nod for our state? I know this borders on blasphemous but does my vote really count? I know the idea of my vote is important but are we locked into a voting system that discounts my individual vote in reality? And why do I have to know who wins the elections hours before they actually close the polls on the west coast? How many people don't even bother at that point? Arrgh!

No matter who we vote for, we will end up questioning our own sanity and feeling guilty for having contributed to the current mess, by the time the next Presidential Election year rolls around~ anyway.


Maybe I am just being totally naive, but I think I want more. How about you? I don't expect overnight miracles but maybe by the time our grandkids are of voting age the current system will evolve into something better for the country and better for everyone in it. I don't pretend to have all the answers, it is not my area of expertise, but I do know something is rotten ~and it isn't in Denmark.

Where is the integrity and dignity in what is going on politically? We get so wrapped up in what they say before the election~ but what they do after the election speaks for itself. We keep getting sucked in by the way it ought to be.


3 comments:

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

I'm with you - sick of politics! The ideas are noble but personal agency and responsibility are lacking. Don't even get me started on the complete and utter breakdown of the family - in one generation - right before our eyes!! We thought it would be cool to live in the last days - right?

Lowell said...

I agree Bonnie! Except maybe McCain might have said "You brought this on yourself, so you can't have my money... go get a job!" Obama might have said, "You brought this on yourself... go get an education!" And Clinton might have said, "You brought this on yourself... go to the welfare office!" Personally, I have a hard time imagining any of them actually stopping to actually help the homeless man... that is, unless there were TV cameras running at the time.

Bonnie said...

That is for sure, Lowell! Loved having a comment from you~ I feel honored and happy! Love you, Mom2