Friday, July 25, 2008

A Visit With President and Sister Hinckley

One of the nights I was in Salt Lake City I discovered that I was staying right down the street from the Salt Lake City Municipal Cemetery and the burial place of many famous and prominent Latter-day Saints. Two prophet that I dearly loved are buried there...Spencer W. Kimball and our beloved Gordon B. Hinckley. I didn't have a lot of time and the cemetery has over 120,000 people buried in it so I went to the office and got a map. I only had time to find President and Sister Hinckley's graves and I wanted to take some pictures for all of our grandchildren and all of you that loved President Hinckley as we did. I never dreamed I would find his resting place and that I would be able to spend some time alone there just thinking about him and all he has done for the world and our family personally. Here are some photos:











The graves face east the monument faces south.
There are always flowers left there.

This is the back side of the monument that states
this is one of the stones from the Conference Center.

This is a really special place to visit. There are 11 of our 16 prophets buried here. Plus people like Orson Pratt, W.W. Phelps, William Clayton, Mary Fielding Smith, Porter Rockwell, J. Reuben Clark, Mark E. Petersen, Bruce R. Mc Conkie, Neal Maxwell, the list goes on and on. I definitely want to go back and visit more of the graves one day with James. The only prophets not buried here are Thomas Monson, our current prophet, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Lorenzo Snow, and Ezra Taft Benson. Brigham Young is buried in a private cemetery just few blocks away.

1 comments:

Barbara said...

Very sweet, Bonnie.