Saturday, August 9, 2008

Cottage Motto:

A Wedding A Year~
In The Backyard Here!


Every year we try to have at least one big shindig here. It is what keeps us motivated to get this gigantic yard back in shape from time to time. It is so easy to just let it go "au naturale" as it is just so foresty and random most of the time. But Bryce Lowder is getting married in a few weeks and his parents and sister and our mutual dear friends, the Hopkins, all came over today to help get it all rolling and looking a little bit more manicured than usual.

The Hoppies & Bishop Lowder pulling our weeds~How sweet of them!

Johnny trying to get Steven to tetter totter
with him while taking a break! Not a dignified
activity for a soon to be Elder Hopkins!

Dave skimming out the pine needles
from the pond and waterfall.

Our regular gardener, David, resetting some
bricks so no one breaks their neck at the reception!


I think David was a little overwhelmed by
this "desseret" activity, he said he had never
worked with so many people before.


Jim & Con washing the windows~
I don't know how Shauna managed to escape the camera
but she was here working too!

It was such a fun time and we got a boatload of stuff done. I don't know why we don't all do this more often. It is so much more fun to work at someone else's house and with a group of friends than it is to do it alone all the time. It was like an old fashioned barn raising and very enjoyable. And the yard looked so nice in just a matter of a few hours with so many hands making light work. Afterwards we all have pizza and salad under the umbrellas and it was great. The weather cooperated and it was a nice, cool, breezy day. The nice part is everyone still had half a day left to get other things done too.


We are off to another wedding this afternoon.
August is definitely wedding month around here.

8 comments:

Lanette - Never Give Up! said...

Fun times in one of my favorite places on earth - I'm going to start saving my pennies so we can buy this treasure - more likely I'll save my pennies and beg the next owners to let me pay to hang out back there again.

Laura said...

What a great compliment to what a beautiful sanctuary of a backyard you have since so many people want their weddings there. What a great blessing for you and so many others!!! You are very selfless---with all you have on your plate, you do so much for others!

V and Co. said...

oh so thats the trick? so i need to get someone to want to do a wedding in my massive back yard so i can put in a trelis and a gazebo that i always wanted? i'll start putting ads in the paper!

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Yes, Vanessa, it is awesome! Take out an ad and get that stuff you have always wanted and then have your friends do all your yard work and wash your windows..it is great!

Jen Stewart said...

I did this at my house this week too. I just had to pay all the people! My house is looking much better though.

Sara said...

Oh I miss your back yard! It is such a wonderful place!

CA Poppy said...

Looks like you had a great time. I can't wait to see photos of the wedding. thankyou for keeping me connected. love,Michelle.