Monday, November 17, 2008

What is your Carrot?


What do you dangle in front of yourself when you need motivation to start something new or give up something that isn't enhancing your life? Are you motivated by gold stars and charts, gifts, just the self-satisfaction of a job that was a struggle being well done? What makes you take the first step on a long journey of change? I find I am often reluctant to make changes, even though I like variety in my life? It is quite perplexing. So what's your carrot, anyway?

3 comments:

Connie said...

Hmmmmm....that is an intriguing question, Bon. I think for me it depends on what the desired outcome is. If I have a horrific (and it does have to be horrific) health scare, then that will be a big motivator to shape up and take care of my health. If I have company coming over for dinner, I will clean the downstairs...If I have company coming to stay over, I clean the upstairs AND the downstairs...If I have a good friend coming over, I don't do either one. :) But I can be motivated internally--such as having a desire to do a good job, teach a good lesson, etc., or I can need/desire the cheers and encouragement of friends and loved ones to be the carrot that day. In other words, I don't know what I am talking about, except to say that I love you dearly and I'm hashing out the answer to your interesting question...out loud...on your blog...for all the world to see. Heck, sometimes I don't "carrot" all and cannot be motivated for any reason....

Okay, I give up. Time to go to bed!

Love you, Bon!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Bonnie said...

Connie~you are one of the funniest and brightest people I have ever known! I love your last sentence!

Sweet dreams! Love you, Con!

laura.elizabeth said...

THAT is a great question. Interestingly enough I have been thinking about it alot lately (even before reading this post) I have decided that a lot of what I do (both good and bad) is done in an effort to fill voids. I want to explore this more and get the heart was what drives me. Once I do- I'll let you know!