Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Don't Want to be An Alien!


This morning as I was preparing a group lesson for church I ran across this great poem that I feel is very poignant. The story goes that a very rich man was lying on his deathbed and not a single member of his family came to be at his side as he was about to leave this mortal life. A stranger was standing near and asked the man, "What have you learned during your life's sojourn?"

This was his reply,"

"I’m an alien, to the faith my mother taught me.
I’m a stranger to the God that heard my mother when she cried.
I’m an alien to the comfort that, “Now I lay me,” brought me.
To the everlasting arms that held my father when he died.
When the great world came and called me, I deserted all to follow.
Never noting in my blindness I had slipped my hand from His.
Never dreaming in my dazedness that the bubble fame is hollow.
That the wealth of gold is tinsel, as I since have learned it is.
I have spent a lifetime seeking things I spurned when I found them,
I have fought and been rewarded in many a winning cause,
But I’d give it all, fame and fortune and the pleasures that surround them,
If I only had the faith that made my mother what she was."

N. Eldon Tanner, “Constancy Amid Change,” Ensign, Nov 1979

I cannot imagine a life without faith and hope in the Savior....what a bleak choice! He is the way, the truth and the life!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I love that painting of Christ. Beautiful artwork.

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

Dearest Bonnie,
I don't want to be an alien too.. Such a beautiful story and the message is really touching. Thanks for sharing this..

Marie Rayner said...

This is such a beautiful post Bonnie. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I am surrounded by aliens where I work. It's so sad to see. Lovely people but totally caught up in the trappings of the world. I love the art of Liz Lemon Swindel. We have the pencil sketch of that same painting of Christ framed and hanging on our wall. It's my absolute favourite work of hers.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
What a nice post and a very true post. You wrote it on my birthday,
thought that was so neat!! and just had to tell you.
Am so sorry about your friends passing, I know it must be a very sad time for all of you. will be praying for you hon.
Blessings, nellie