Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ahhhh, It's Done!

Clarifying the title, the project is done, but the evolution of the room is never done! Rooms have life which means change, refining, experimenting. Homes are never really done until you move or they fall down! But we do have blast off, Houston!

I count you as true friends for hanging in there with us through this remodeling project. I know I have been blog perserverating on it. The kitchen being the heart of the home, it seems to command our attention always but, when it is in upheaval it affects us on many levels. I feel so blessed and fortunate to have it done finally. The big miracle is that I managed to lose 30 pounds during all this stress of five months of remodeling. Talk about the ultimate test of one's endurance...yikes. I think we only ate out about two times during all of it which is a major miracle as well.

The biggest miracle of all is that I have a husband who is phenomenal, persistent, and perfectly professional in his work. I think I love him more right this second than I ever have! (Labor and Delivery Rooms would be a strong contender also.) Anyway, here are the last of the photos of some of the places not previously shared.

Jim's very good friend, Dave, came to help him hang the doors last night.

Two hours later they were done!

I love to listen to them chatter while they work together. (Worse than a couple of women, I tell ya!) They are the best of friends and Dave is always there for us to lend a hand..he is a tremendous friend. Years ago they bought and flipped a house together...they did an amazing job. They bought their wives a little gift after that. Lee got a brand new beautiful car and I got a gorgeous new diamond ring to replace my stolen engagement ring! Woohoo, hubbies!

The Reward!
Double click for the details.

Above the stove I have this great Sunflower I bought in Salt Lake last year during Hazie's long hospital stay. It reminds me that there is sunshine and hope if we look to the Son.

The carved, old peasant woman was rescued from a client's Goodwill pile and it reminds me that every age and station in life has its rewards.



The unique oil and vinegar bottle is from our favorite restaurant in Carmel~Napoli. I bought it on a special couples' bike trip we took with some great friends. The women shopped and did lunch and the men biked~pure heaven.

And you know what Napoli reminds me of~the place our kids live right now! Both of those things remind me to take time for fun and recreation and relationships.


I love this olive tree and the birdbath was gotten in Utah
on one of the trips Jen and I have taken to The Porch.
The faux olives are...
just plainly awesome and make me smile!


The Olive Branch Window Treatment
(Sorry Nester, No Fabric!)

~The Inside of my Antique Cabinet~
It contains a great Fetuccini art piece
The yellow pot and accessories
And a really neat set of pasta bowls...
~A gift from Italy
from Jim's mom~


Our new refrigerator is hard to photograph
but here is the top of it. We LOVE having a big, black frig!


I have no idea how we survived
without this fab sink and faucet!
And we are IN LOVE with our countertops



It was cold this morning so here's the fire!

Here is a slide show combining the various posts on the kitchen

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Our Kitchen Remodel
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


Everything in this room is special to me because it all reminds me of special places, past memories, fabulous people and principles that guide our lives. And that is why I am so passionate about decorating and creating the spaces where we live. They make me happy, they make my family happy and isn't that what it is all about? Living your life and making the best of it? To me, it is all about creating a great home and family-centered life. And then as you do that, sharing it with others too. La Dolce Vita! Ciao Bella!

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi mom and dad

Wow!!! The kitchen looks amazing!! I love the appliances. They look great with the floor. I like the hardware too! Can't wait to see it in person in a few weeks!!

Love you both.

Jen

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

SIMPLY FABULOUS!!! Every single little detail, FABULOUS!!!

Connie said...

It's all just delightful! You should be a professional, Bon.....Oh, wait!!! YOU ARE! :)

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
so happy you are finally finished with your kitchen, I know how that feels, and it is a wonderful feeling. It is just lovely, I love white cabinets, actually white anything!! The copper countertops are so neat, with the
copper hardware and all and is such
a stark contrast that look fabulous. Bet you are making hubby a very special din din soon!!
Enjoy your sweet and special surroundings, you will want to be in the kitchen all the time. that fireplace looked so inviting too.
thanks for sharing, and thanks for dropping by today too. Thanks for your encouraging words, they have helped this fellow sojourner!!
Blessings and Happy Eating and Dining!
Nellie

Sara said...

The kitchen looks simply amazing!

Unknown said...

Tooooo Cooool! Wow, you guys got the nack. Love the colors, it all looks so rich! And dig that black refrigerator! Love it! The music fits your decorations perfectly, so romantic. Now you can just enjoy.

Marie Rayner said...

Bonnie, your kitchen looks amazing. What a wonderful job they did on it! I love your sunflower and your olive branch, also the little old lady figurine. I just love sunflowers. Your fire looks very tempting as well! Just beautiful!

Barbara said...

Congratulations! Love everything -the decor, the windows, the appliances, the contrasting colors, and the best part - you did it yourselves! Way to go!

MCGROVER said...

Good Job to both of you. I need Jim around my house.

The kitchen looks beautiful and I like the way you find so much symbolism in all of your decor. Now if you could only find symbolism in a floor I could use that as a marketing tool.

We miss seeing you guys on a regular basis.

Deanna said...

Hi dearest!
I wanted to pop in before I hit the sack...I am running on zero energy right now (dramatically exhaling a deep groan.)

What an awesome kitchen! The countertops are beautiful and I love the hardware on the cabinets. Marshall and I just watched the slide show and we oohed and aahed over everything. I was so happy to read that you have lost those 30 lbs. That is just the most wonderful news ever! I'm so proud of you Bonnie! I want to have a "reveal" photo in September because I think once I hit 150, I'm going to stop the serious dieting. I'll just be more watchful over my portions and of what kind of food I am sticking in my mouth.

I loved the music to the slide show...I remembered that the tune is from a film called Summertime with Katharine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi. It's such a sweet film and that particular piece of music is my favorite part of the film.

Well, I'm off to bed with Mr. Timeless Things. I know we will both be snoring in less than ten minutes as we are exhasted beyond words.

Love always,
Deanna :D

girlsmama said...

It looks fabulous Bonnie! I love your thoughts on the sunflower. That will stay with me. Thank you!

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

I forgot to say YAHOO on the 30 pds. WOWZERS YOU ROCK BONNIE!!! YIPPEE FOR YOU!!!!