Thursday, June 18, 2009

Community Win~Win

This is the last of four posts on the weekend Jim and I spent away. Do I hear a collective sigh of relief? We do this about twice a year and it seems we pack six months worth of dates and activities into it. As I mentioned in the comment section of the last post...this is just my way of journaling and resurrecting fond memories when I can no longer remember the events of the current day.

We attended the San Rafael Youth Art Festival which we thought was a wonderful event benefiting everyone. The community holds this festival annually and the proceeds go to the city's youth art enrichment program which supplements the dwindling school budgets for the creative arts.

Each year they resurface some of the main streets in the little town with new asphalt. Then they sell large squares to various families and sponsors to raise money. They also sell smaller squares to the families of the children of the town, which to me was the most fun part of it. Each square is then designed and done in colored chalk by the participants. We could just see the grandkids enjoying this event. The concept is brilliant and the result spectacular. They do not charge admission for this fun exhibit.







It was a great weekend all in all. Thanks for coming along!

3 comments:

BECKY said...

Oh My, Bonnie!! I went back to see the rest of your trip that I have missed, and WOW was it delightful!! I love it all!! And these street drawings are amazing!!
A great idea indeed!!

I am so glad that you had such a good time. Love the little boats at the wharf, the bridge of course, the little house with flowers,the bay, the food...just wonderful!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together to share with all of us!! I surely enjoyed it!!

Love and hugs,
Becky

CA Poppy said...

What a great travel piece ~I want to go everywhere that you did.

laura.elizabeth said...

This is AMAZING! I have entered it into the brain and am saving it for the future. We got to get back to CA for it sometime. The boys would love it!