Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sam's Club vs Costco

We live about equal distance between Costco and Sam's. If I go to the end of our main road and turn left I am at Costco in about 4 minutes. If I turn right I am at Sam's in about the same amount of time. It is pretty sweet actually. I have always preferred shopping at Sam's as it is just quieter, less crowded, less frenetic, and I can find a parking place within walking distance.

Don't get me wrong, I love the variety and fun stuff at Costco and am much more tempted to buy things that we really don't need there. In that respect it is better (or should I say worse) than Sam's Club. At Sam's I know exactly where everything is and I am in and out in no time. In Costco I tend to wander, etc.


Well, Sam's has done something lately that is swinging my vote over to Costco exclusively.

They have switched to these insanely stupid milk containers with the flat tops. I hate them. It is impossible to pour milk without spilling it. Then they have also put this heavy foil thingy on it that does not peel off easily, so you have to cut it off before you can even get to the milk.

I cannot come up with any earthly good reason they have done this...they say they can be stacked for shipping easier and that it is cheaper, but...if we quit buying it, what is the advantage to them? They say they are passing the savings on to the customer, but fat free milk at Winco is ...$1.75, milk at Sam's over $2.00, so the savings they claim the consumer is getting are questionable. It's just the lamest thing ever. We have even been known to transfer our milk into old, normal, washed containers when one was available. Is anyone else done with Sam's milk, or is it just us?

The other reason I use to like Sam's was that they had a pretty good DVD department with cheaper prices than most. Now they are carrying less and charging more. I am going, going gone from Sam's Club very soon now; like right after the Christmas rush at Costco. Perish the thought of those horrendous lines during the holidays!

Maybe Sam's Club will come to their senses in the mean time! It is the little things that can wreck your day sometimes! I am seeing my glass of milk from Sam's half empty at the moment!

flickr

OH NO! There has been a sighting
in Costco in the Northwest and they
ARE coming to Walmart too!

8 comments:

Laura said...

The milk issue is ridiculous. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. If they are doing this at Sam's, I wonder if Walmart is next (where I shop most of the time). Please no. I will shop elsewhere over the milk. My testimony of Costco just increased!

Bonnie said...

Jim read up on this last night and Walmart is to follow! Bummer!!

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Too crazy! Hopefully all milk-jug-makers don't think this is a good idea and everyone converts to this style! Wouldn't that be something?!

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

Uh Yea, we HATE the milk at Sam's. I don't buy it, I HATE IT! I have said something everytime I go there about it. They don't care at all. I just get my milk at Food For Less where I do my other shopping. I do prefer Sam's over Costco for the same reasons you mentioned Bon, but can't help but be annoyed by their none care about the customer attitude. We are not the only ones that feel this way either. Hmmm irritating, so very irritating.

girlsmama said...

Our Sam's still has normal milk containers. I hope that doesn't change!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Bon...

Our Costco has those hideous containers as well. I don't know about Sam's Club, there are none close by, so I never shop there. I hate them too....and, they're really hard to get off the shelf as well. I didn't like the boxes either though, so I don't know what the solution could be.

Blessings,
Spencer

mandy* said...

Ugh. Our Costco milk looks just like that. I have to wipe it up almost every time I use it. However we still buy it because it is so cheap.

Laura said...

I seem to remember that our local Costco carried these crazy milk jugs for about a weekend and then switched back. Although maybe it was just a nightmare, so don't quote me on that.

Unfortunately I still end up buying those crazy jugs at Sam's because I like that you can buy them one gallon at a time. I despise them though.