Friday, November 20, 2009

Something To Think About

Often times when someone is expecting a baby they really have a preference on the gender of the baby. Often they are disappointed when they find out they are having yet another boy or girl when they were really hoping for the other. Nine times out of ten when we sense there is a little disappointment what do we say to the person in an attempt to be kind and helpful? "Oh, I am so happy for you..... as long as its healthy!'

I use to say this all the time to people because I didn't know better. Our personal experiences have taught us that that any child of God sent to this earth by our Heavenly Father is a blessing beyond measure. Health has nothing to do with it. I never really even thought about how that little quip could be hurtful to someone else.

It is true that having health issues is certainly nothing anyone would want to see inflicted on any child. It is true that it can be very inconvenient and requires much personal sacrifice on the part of the parents, but what child doesn't? Earth life is like that. But it is also very true that the blessing of that little child's opportunity to experience life and family and love and happiness are just as wonderful regardless of health. And there is a special club of people who know this through their own experiences.

Anyway I just thought of this this afternoon when a sweet friend announced the 4th daughter on the way when they were hoping for a brother for their one son. Some very sweet, innocent person made the 'as long as its healthy' reply on Facebook and it just got me to thinking.....if she only knew. Sometimes you just have to have 'been there' to know that beautiful blessings come in all shapes, sizes and situations.

4 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Beautiful post Bonnie. My eldest daughter is developmentally handicapped, but we always called her developmentally capable because there is nothing that girl can't do or doesn't aspire to do! Her boundless enthusiasm and drive put most people to shame! I was so thrilled earlier this year when I was able to travel to Idaho to watch her compete in the World Special Olympic Winter Games and then to see her win, not one, but two Gold Medals! I could never had imagined when I first held her in my arms just how much joy and the many blessings she would bring into my life. In many ways, much more than my so called "normal" kiddos! I love them all of course, but she is very special to me and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father chose me to help to raise and nurture this very special spirit!

Sally said...

You're very wise! I was actually hoping for a child with Down Syndrome...I know that may sound odd but I love those kids so much!!! I work in Special Education so I can be with my celestial kids, they are my angels and I love them so much!!!! If I had money I would adopt, I have looked on some sites but you need $20K...

I am happy to be having a baby, period.

Thanks for all your thought provoking posts.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi again Bonnie,
This was a good post and that is really true,and you are right you really don't think about that, and it is easy to say that cause of course, no one wants to have a child that has medical conditions,
but the ones that do have special needs children can really say that they are a blessing in so many ways, that we can never imagine.
You write from experience, and it was a good post.
So glad you like your new lights and fixtures for the bathroom, can't wait to see the finished product. Hope you passed inspection!!
Blessings hon,
and have a great weekend.
Nellie

Shaun at Oak Den said...

Perspective is a curious thing. We are so blessed to be able to grow and progress in life and have our consciousness raised so that we can become better than we were; more loving, more empathetic, more understanding.

There really are different "clubs", aren't there? Some that we'd rather not have to be a part of, but we sure do learn and grow as a result of our "membership".

*sigh* Life.