Sunday, May 23, 2010

Huggy Health

I saw this paragraph about hugging and it got me
to thinking about this lovely gesture of affection.

"I'm trying to hold my hugs for a longer time. Research shows that if we hold a hug for at least six seconds, we optimize the flow of mood-boosting chemicals. According to studies, a family member is 47% more likely to feel close to a family member who often expresses affection than to one who rarely does. Sometimes it's good to say, “I love you”; sometimes it's good to express that thought without words. Also, frequent huggers have lower blood pressure and higher levels of oxytocin (a chemical that promotes bonding)." Real Simple

Spencer & Piper

We are a big fans of hugging in our family. We love it and do it so much that, remember Rossie wants to do it as his life's work! Somewhere years ago I read that it takes seven hugs a day to be healthy. I go for that. We go for the full on bear hugs around here. I have hugged some people that are as stiff as an ironing board. It is like they are trying to hug you without touching you. I find that sad. Everyone needs this form of expressing affection in my humble opinion. It says I like you, I love you, I think you are awesome, you mean something to me, I want you to know you are wonderful and worthy of love and acceptance, you are a great friend. It also says I want you to know you are not alone, I am sorry you are going through this, I am so proud of you, thank you, I am happy to see you, good-bye; I will miss you...etc. etc. Sometimes all that is needed is a sweet hug to set someone's day aright. The dividends are great for such a small effort. Go hug someone you care about today! Seven times is even better! And don't rush it! 6 Secs!

For a wonderful Christ-centered article about hugs
click here.


4 comments:

BECKY said...

Hi Bon, I really think hugs are way over rated and really prefer a handshake. OK...if you believed that I have some waterfront property to sell you in Nashville!!
HA!!! Just thought I'd have a little fun with my friend!!

My family are HUGE huggers!! That's why I often sign big hugs or big squishy hugs!! HUGS are just the best form of expressing how we feel about one another!

So are you ready...here it comes...a big huge cyber hug for YOU!!

((((((((((((Bonnie))))))))))))

Have a joyful week, and know that I treasure your friendship!!
Love you,
Becky

Julie Harward said...

I love it! I did a post on hugging here a bit a go too! I love hugging, just today I was hugging some former SS student of mine..a young man who just came home from a mission and a young woman about to graduate from Harvard. With a hug, we were tied right back together again even though we hadn't seen each other in a few years. Hugs are the best! Come say hi :D

Marie Rayner said...

I am a big hugger too Bonnie! I never used to be when I was younger, but it is something that I have warmed up to in these later years. Hugs are the perfect gift to give! Sending you a virtual one right now from afar!! xxoo

Caroline Craven said...

That was wonderful. I grew up in a family that didn't hug or even say "I love you" very much. It was just "understood" (like and edict) that we all loved each other. When my oldest sister left home at a very tender age and got married, she started hugging us when she would come and visit and when she would leave to go to her home. At first it was very awkward and felt so strange and forced (which it was) but now it is just second nature, even in my family of origin. I will be eternally grateful to her for taking that risk. We Craven's are a huggy family. It kind of comes naturally with a bunch of girls, but Kent has always been a huggy kind of guy and so is Trevor. I get the best hugs from Trevor - and frequently too. I missed that from my dad growing up and it was important to me that my husband would be affectionate with his children. Kent fit the mold perfectly and has always been affectionate with me and the kids. It's the best.