Monday, May 17, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook~May 17, 2010

To join in focusing on the simple things and pleasures of your daily life or to read other people's entries, you can click here.

So, For Today...Monday, May 17, 2010

Outside my window..the sun is trying to peek through the cloudy sky, it is breezy and chilly out. I have a busy day today with a Jury Duty Summons. I have a feeling it will be a long day as I am in group 10 out of 11 to be questioned. So hopefully it will be a nice day weather wise as I am going to have to walk several blocks IF I can even find a parking place.

I am thinking...if I were to get called to a jury this would be pretty good time, just sayin' not that I am wishing for it. I was called to come in one other time and sat there all day and they had their jury about three people before I was to be questioned. They had gone through 125 potentials. Ugh!

I am thankful for...Prayer and the Holy Ghost that leads and guides us and testified of the truth of all things.
From the learning room...When trials come it is nice to know that the Lord is always near, we just have to reach out and take His hand.

I am reading...Book 3 in the Zion Covenant Series by Bodie Theone. This one is entitled Munich Signature. It is really good and I am so thankful to be into this series. Especially today when I will have it in my hand most of the day! I love reading books recommended by family and friends. Laura got me into these books and I feel like it brings us closer through all the 7,000 plus miles. I also love how much I am learning about WWII from this historical novel.

From the kitchen... we have leftover curry chicken for tonight but tomorrow I have to make "The Soup" for Jim.

I am wondering..when our new area rug for the dining room will arrive. It is supposed to ship out today from the manufacturer.
I am hearing...Miracle by Celine Dion. Every mother should have a copy of this entire CD. Amazing.

I am going...think about my mom a lot today she would be 91 if she were alive. There are so many people that have died that I miss very much. My parents are on top of the list and other family members and friends.

I have been thinking a lot about the ones that died without telling me. Just kidding, but y0u know the ones, we all have those. Someone who has been very important in our lives and somehow you find out they died...sometimes months or years after the fact.

Often they are people you have known through school or work and you don't know the family so somehow you just stumble onto the news randomly, usually when you are trying to reconnect because they have been on your mind. That has happened to me with several really good friends from the past and then you find yourself mourning way after everyone else.

Today if I could change one thing...that I could wish my mom a Happy Birthday and just see her again and chat and ask her for her advice on things. And mostly just to give her a big hug and thank her for being such an inspiration in my life on so many levels.

I am quoting...“If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” C.S. Lewis
My spiritual thoughts include..the fact that the atonement is for so much more than forgiveness of our sins. The power of what Christ did for us covers healing everything in our lives like a beautiful warm blanket of unconditional love.

Around the house...I feel like I have had the time to keep up better than I have in many years. I love it!
I am missing...many important people in my life very much!

I am hoping....I get excused today as the week is full already without adding jury duty to the mix.

One of my guilty pleasures...Lancome
One of my favorite things...books and movies and experiences that touch my heart, evoke deep emotion, and even bring tears to my eyes.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...
I have been having a Meryl Streep fest. I do love her movies and her work and just her in general.

A few plans for the rest of the week...jury duty, cooking, visiting teaching Wednesday, a dinner honoring Jim for his contributions to an organization called SELPA which is an educational entity, date night, a working around the yard weekend, bringing dinner to a lady that just had a baby on Saturday night, and Jenny Oaks Baker violin concert on Sunday night.

Here is a picture and a thought I am sharing with you~

This is our little Rossie. Ross broke his arm in four places on March 17th. He has pointed out to me that although St. Patrick's Day is supposed to be a lucky day, it was not for him. This is something he learned after the fact though.

Ross is fearless, Ross plays at full speed, with all his heart, Ross is tough, Ross is passionate, Ross is all boy. Ross thought it was quite exciting to be getting a cast and having people sign it, etc. He was thrilled and thought getting all the attention and a treat after the cast setting was great. Ross thought a big chocolate bunny was so worth the broken arm, or so he told his Dad that day. Ross is left-handed, Ross had two casts one up to his shoulder for four weeks and then the above one for three weeks. Ross got his cast off on Friday, finally.

Ross learned a lesson. Chocolate bunnies are not all they're cracked up to be and it was definitely not worth the broken arm. Hopefully Rossie also learned to be a little more careful.

Isn't this a pattern for how we all learn from our mishaps and mistakes. Consequences of not being careful can really come back to bite us, and because of that we learn. I know our little grandboy well enough to know he will continue to be all boy, passionate about everything in life and this will probably not be the last cast he'll ever have.

But I bet he won't trade the experience for only one chocolate bunny if and when the time comes again! I do so love this little guy. In spite of it all, he truly made the best of his time in his cast. He's got a lot of strength within and he just pushes forward looking for the good in each day. He tells me he want to give me a billion kisses just about every time we talk. Who can resist a little boy like that? Not me, nope not his Gramma!!

4 comments:

Caroline Craven said...

I know what you mean about the cell phones. They are banned from the dinner table and never go to church with us. We truly must be sole sisters b/c I love Meryl Streep too. Loved her in Sophie's Choice and Mamma Mia!

I'm sorry you have to spend your day doing the jury duty thing. I had to do that a while ago and it seems like I get the dreaded letter all the time while I don't think Kent has ever had one. How does that happen?

Your sentiments about your mom got me to thinking about my mom. Actually, I was thinking a lot about her and her illness on the drive home from Yellowstone yesterday. The chemo is really starting to take its toll on her and I was thinking about the cycle of life - mom with her illness, the new babies we played with at the retreat and me in the middle. I was pretty melancholy. I was also thinking about how fast my kids grew up from being those same babies at family get-togethers. I always though I would be okay with them moving on. I am happy for them, but feel a real emptiness in my heart that things are changing so much in our family. Nicki will probably be getting married this fall, Regan is moving out to New York to take her place as a nanny and that will just leave Kenna and Trevor at home. I am somewhat panicked about how fast the time with the two remaining will go. I know it's the plan and I certainly want them to progress in this life, but I don't always like it! Kenna only has three years of school left before she leaves for college.

I wish you could give your mom a hug and tell her how much you love her. I was also thinking, yesterday, about what it will be like when we have all moved over to the other side and are looking back on this life and how fast it zipped by. It is an interesting thing to contemplate. I love that Ross wants to give you a billion kisses and that truly makes me look forward to the future. I think being a grandma will give me a chance to play mommy again, only much better the second time around! Can't wait. Thanks for your thoughts.

Julie Harward said...

Ahhh, too bad about the broken arm!
I have been called to be a potential jury person 3 times now but haven't had to do it yet!
If my mom ere alive she would be 95...my MIL is still here and she turns 97 June 1rst! Have a good week :D

sistersusiesays said...

Your day book reminds me of Nellie's Thankful Thursdays!

Window-drops still drip from a rainy day.

Thinking-I'm ready for the summer.

Thankful for-My Almighty Provider.

Learning room-It is better to have patience and wait upon the LORD than take matters into my own hands; later asking myself why it didn't work out!

Reading-the writing papers of my kindergartners. (They did a great job about a queen and her quilt.) Can you guess what letter we're reviewing?

Kitchen-I microwaved a frozen dish with shrimp, pasta, and vegetables. (I added some parmesan cheese!)

Wondering-If I can find the musical DVD with the specific background I want. I ordered two different ones, but they were not what I was looking for.

Hearing-"I Can Only Imagine." DVD above.

I'm going-to think about my parents. Today they woud have been married 63 years.

Change 1 thing-it would be the fast pace of the world. If everything could just slow down and allow people to think before they act (myself included!)

Quoting-"He who is 1st shall be last; and he who is last shall be first."

Spiritual thoughts-that before the world was, He knew me! "Thank you, Holy Father that I belong to You!"

Around the house-Joyful sounds abound! My birds are playing and "squawking" with joy! My dogs are running in and out the screen door lapping up water, going out again to bark at the squirrels! Sarah is running up and down her cat tower! I guess they are all glad I'm home, ha!

Missing-Mr. Bunney who died this past week. He was 92 and I remember our talking, singing to his piano playing since the '80's.
He and his sweet wife passed by me every Sunday at church. He never failed to speak to me. He will be missed while we continue on this earth.

Hoping-for the next three weeks to have everything get accomplished that needs to be for the end of the year.

Guilty pleasures-dark chocolate.

Favorite-Christian music in 5.1surround sound!

Movie-BeeGee's Concert DVD.

Weekly plans-Completing my cums at school; taking Sarah for her check-up at the vet's; teacher's eat-out on Friday. (A few of us get together and enjoy dinner with one another!)

Ross-that he'll never need a cast again!

What a great blog you have to make me think of things that are of great importance! Thank you, Bonnie. I also appreciate your comment to direct me when and where to write on blogs!
Blessings on you and yours,
Susie

Marie Rayner said...

Lovely post again Bonnie. I have never had to do jury duty. I guess I have just been lucky so far! Ross is sure a handsome lad! All your grandchildren are and I just know they are nice people too, coz you are. How could they not be? Great lesson learned there as well!!! xxoo