Thursday, June 24, 2010

Just Before the Shindig Last Saturday Night

When you enter the driveway you will find
this little lawn jockey to welcome you.
For the party Jim made this cool sign.
I have wanted one forever but
every time I have seen one the
arrow was pointing the other way!

The preparations for Jim's retirement party went on until the last possible minute. You know how it is, work expands to fill the time available. We did force ourselves to rest for about an hour in the afternoon at the expense of having about an hour's worth of things that could still have been done before the guests arrived, BUT it was worth it. There is nothing worse than not enjoying your own party from sheer exhaustion. I know, I do it all the time but I am turning over a new leaf.

I always want every single little detail done but in the long run it doesn't really matter. Reasonable is much better than perfectionism! Especially since perfect seems impossible to achieve and then it leaves you feeling dissatisfied and wanting to do more. Note to self...Being satisfied with doing enough is a good thing.

Here a few views of the obscure places around the yard.

This path leads you around to the patio
and backyard.
The path curves and right at
the curve
is a tree that I have always
wanted Jim
to carve our initials in...
it's coming this summer!

This is where you walk right
past the new bathroom addition.


Speaking of the bathroom,
check out this gorgeous tree and the little white
flowers that just bloomed this week!
What a gift from above!
Seriously with no windows here before~
we never noticed it.
That is just too darn busy for 30+years.

Speaking of heavenly gifts, remember when
the trumpet vine was just beginning to bloom
a week ago? Perfect timing!

Passing the addition~
These are some pots I got at a garage sale.

The big urn was painted black by James last week.
$10:00 I it!

Ideally this area beside the path that was
once a planter area will all be brick someday.

I wish this white pot photographed better,
it is very Italian looking with raised grapes and
leaves all around it. $5.00 @ the same fab garage sale.
I think it helped that it was my sister-in-law's sale!
Thanks, Gail!

Nursing our bougainvillea from last summer,
it's touch and go but I still love it.

On the etagere is a basket with many,
many tiny boxes filled with jelly beans.
Ellen, Jim's teacher's aid, made the boxes
and filled them and tied bows on every one.
That is dedication and excessive patience!
I could never sit and do that, could you?

I just love this St. Francis,
The patron Saint of San Francisco.
Not our church but definitely our City!

Love this metal wall art given to me
by Laura years ago.
Thought I'd try it
on the lower patio this summer.


I planted 17 pots of flowers before the party.
So far they are all still alive! Woohoo!

1 comments:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

HI BONNIE,
EVERYTHING LOOKS LOVELY, SUCH A PRETTY AREA FOR A PARTY. LOVE THE SIGN JIM MADE FOR YOUR LIL JOCKEY GUY TOO! SO CUTE!
DON'T YOU WORRY ABOUT FILLING ALL THOSE SHOES YOU AND JIM ARE GONNA HAVE A GREAT TIME TOGETHER DOING FUN STUFF, AND VISITING YOUR KIDS, AND JUST HANGING OUT AND CLEANING AND COOKING TOGETHER, WATCHING MOVIES,AND SLEEPING IN!!
ONCE IT HAPPENS AND THE REALIZATION SETS IN THAT HE IS A FREE MAN HE WILL LOVE IT!! CAUSE HE IS A HANDY GUY AND IS INVOVED IN OTHER THINGS AS WELL.
YOU ARE SO SWEET TO BE SO CONCERNED ABOUT ME.....YOU ARE A TRUE PAL!! MY ARM IS BETTER, NOW IF I CAN JUST BEHAVE MYSELF. IT IS SO HARD WITH THE EXERCISING CAUSE I KNOW EVERYDAY I AM LOSING GROUND, IN MY UPPER BODY ESPECIALLY THE ARMS. YOU WORK SO HARD TO GET TONED UP AND YOU LOSE IT SO QUICKLY BUT OH WELL, I GOTTA DO WHAT I GOTTA DO!
GLAD YOU LIKED MY FATHER'S DAY TABLE........I THOUGHT IT WAS QUITE CUTE MYSELF, BUT I REALLY CAN'T TAKE CREDIT, I KNOW THE LORD GAVE ME THOSE IDEAS CAUSE I WAS ASKING SINCE I WAS AT A LOSS AS TO WHAT TO DO CAUSE I DON'T HAVE A LOT OF GUYISH THINGS IN THE HOUSE.
I WAS THINKING LATER WE SHOULD HAVE ALL HAD A BOTTLE OF IBC ROOTBEER WITH A STRAW INSTEAD OF GLASSES/ AND OR COKE. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN REALLY CUTE TOO!

HAVE A GREAT DAY HON,
LOVE YA, NELLIE