Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Around Newport Today


Flo's Clam Shack~
Unfortunately closed the day
we planned to eat here.

Newport today is teaming with things to do that hold some interest for just about everyone. Aside from the Newport Mansions and the Cliff Walk there are numerous lovely beaches, cabins on the beach you can rent, streets and streets of great shopping in little shops with all kinds of specialties, amazing restaurants, gourmet ice cream shops, quaint Inns, modern hotels, historic neighborhoods dating back to the 1600s, and seafood everywhere from Flo's Clam Shack to The Barking Crab.


If you miss The Barking Crab here
there is one in Boston too!
Fisherman's Platter~
comes highly recommended
By me!


We ate lunch here one day and had dinner at a great Thai place one evening with Laura and Robert. Every weekend we were here there was at least one cruise ship in the harbor. There is plenty to keep you busy and entertained and even educated. We saw a lot of prestigious universities on this trip and one of our favorites was a little private, Catholic University called Salve Regina.

It is right in downtown Newport and was at one time one of the mansions. It was given to the Catholic church in 1947 by the grandson of one of the builders of the mansion on the cliffs. It is just up Bellevue Ave from The Breakers and really beautiful.

Excellent grades and references, $50.00 application fee, a place to live, money for food and other expenses and about $33,000 per year for tuition may get you in. The students seemed to be loving it. A load off for the parents, no doubt, who are footing the bill.

An occupied little mansion with
real people residing herein.


Shoppe fronts in the Brick Market area

Laura's nickname is Lu Lu so she needed
her picture taken here for sure!

How to make a mom the happiest...
Cuddling up to her Beautiful girl and
lovely flowers in her favorite color.


An exceedingly cute 'work a day' house!
We could live here unless the little
mansion above should become available!

Newport Harbor and Lighthouse

Newport is just a really fun resort town. We enjoyed our time there and Laura and I had fun shopping in a little store called Bedazzled. Aquidneck Island is quite the place to visit. And if you are not a seafood fan, go anyway, there are lot of other choices. If you are a fan, it doesn't get any better than this to quote my husband. It is a little touristy in the Brick Market area but if you actually are a tourist...what's not to love? And if you love photography, New England is pure heaven! (Until you get home and have to sort through 1,000 digital pics!)

Do note: Newport pretty much shuts down after Halloween until spring. The best time to go? Autumn, hands down!

5 comments:

Julie Harward said...

The mansion took my breath away! But then I loved the cottage too! All very wonderful..what a trip! PS I love Hazie as a butterfly..too too sweet!

Marie Rayner said...

I love, love the little yellow house! How perfectly homey looking and welcoming! I have enjoyed your visit to New England Bonnie! Did your print arrive yet? xxoo

Caroline Craven said...

I am getting so excited to plan a trip to the east to visit Nicki and McKay and your blogs are the inspiration. I think I'm going to have to do more than one because for sure I want to go in the fall, but I can't possibly wait that long to see her. Thanks for these beautiful pictures. I could live there again. I love the east.

sistersusiesays said...

Quiet and Quaint! Your lovely pictures show there are still such places!

Blessings and hugs,
Susie

Deanna said...

Was that little yellow house for sale? Because if it is...I'm outta San Antonio!!!

I can't help it, I cried when I saw you and Laura together (what is happening to me?) that I suppose I'm just extra emotional these days...(giggle)

Is that bridge magnificent or what? Miss Laura looks precious standing by the Lulabell sign.

One question? Where is Jim? :P

Love ya,
Deanna :D