Monday, October 25, 2010

Bristol, Rhode Island


We had to pass over the Mt. Hope Bridge to cross Narragansett Bay and get off the island. We decided to venture off and see the little town of Bristol on the other side. We loved this little two lane suspension bridge because it reminded us of a mini Golden Gate painted forest green. One of Jim's objectives while touring was to stay off the freeways as much as possible. A worthy goal and sometimes brought us to places like you see below. It definitely added to the adventure and we saw things we would have missed entirely otherwise.

It was from just past this vantage point
that we got the photo of the bridge.

Bristol is known as the most patriotic town in America! The dividing line on the street tends to support that. They say they are known for the best 4th of July celebration in the country. Boston also claims the same distinction, but I think I'd rather come here. Tiny, quaint and full of heart, we loved Bristol.

The tree lined streets are so beautiful!

This is the Blithwold Mansion and is supposed to be THE place to go at Christmas time for a lovely, spirited holiday display of Victorian decorations and charm. I really hope Laura will get to do this while so near.

This is a gazebo near the mansion in
one of the gardens on the estate.

Bristol's Visitors' Center and
Burnside Memorial Garden


The Garden has the monument of two Civil War soldiers. It has individual markers for some and a large monument, not unlike the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington, D.C. listing all of soldiers who gave their lives for our freedom dating back as far as the Revolutionary War. This monument tracks all the dead of Bristol to the present day, one soldier from Afghanistan so far. It was very sobering to see how very many they have lost.

Looking back through the garden to the street
and clock tower across the street.


Here is the church.

The interior of a portion of the church.
We love it when they open the doors to these
historic churches to the public.
We sat a while and enjoyed its quiet beauty.
We enjoy doing this in places we
visit to get a feel for life there.

We also spent some time in their public library.
Kind of weird but we do it all the time.

This historic home has been converted
into Lindon Museum.
Not sure what is inside.

A neighborhood home.

Just about every place we visited was in some way
connected to a body of water. It was very choppy while we there.

It started pouring just as we went into Aidan's Irish Pub for our first seafood treat~fish and chips with malt vinegar and cole slaw. Very delicious. This place was a lot of fun! Nice people, lots of windows looking out to the water and it was warm and cozy inside. We lingered and talked to some locals and when we were ready to leave it was nice again.

One last little chapel we saw on our way home. Beautiful day, lovely place. Oh, and I forgot to mention, fantastic shopping. I went into a few little shops while Jim checked out the wharf and I was impressed. All in all...a perfect day!

6 comments:

Caroline Craven said...

I was confused. I thought Laura and her family lived in Bristol, but I take it they live on an island called War College. Both places are beautiful and make me miss the east. I could live there again, I loved it the first time, just too far from family.

Deanna said...

What a charming place. The mansion is lovely and I loved the little chapel photo.

Deanna :D

Julie Harward said...

I love to get off the beaten path when I am on vacation too, so much more interesting. This is such a beautiful place, I would love to visit here. There are so many neat places, wish I could see them all! :D

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
Loved all your pics!! They are all so beautiful. those churches are so neat, I just love churches like that too!!
So glad you had such a great time there, it is always so exciting to see how other people live in other states!
I love lil quaint places like that, so wonderful.
Hope you are doing well my dear,
Love ya, Nellie

sistersusiesays said...

My favorite picture is the dirt road going under the bridge. It reminds of a knight and the shivery of a carriage being pulled under it with white horses! MY DEAR, I am trying to escape this school reality, lol!
Love and hugs,
Susie

laura.elizabeth said...

I love, love, LOVE Bristol. I was there yesterday and it is ablaze with color. More colorful than the Island is right now (or at least it seemed that way in the morning light). Anyway, this is a fun post. I love seeing the places I live via your blog- they always look so good!