Friday, October 8, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook~October 8, 2010

To focus on the simple things in life, why not try writing a daybook of your own? It is a lot of fun and gives a real glimpse into your daily life...over time.


So, for today, Friday, October 8, 2010...

Outside my window...It is dark and I can hear the freeway noise. We have left the magical enchantment of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont and are staying the night in Hartford, CT. We have a nice suite at the one of the Choice Hotels which basically just means we are not tripping over each other and have a little kitchen which is most helpful with Spencer's food allergies.

I am thinking... that it is fun to be in Hartford, Connecticut and think about the Gilmore Girls. If you have never watched the series on TV or are not familiar it is a favorite of mine. It is about a mother and daughter who lived near here (in TV land) and I just loved the show. Very witty, quick and entertaining. I am not a TV person but loved this show on DVDs well after it ended.

I am thankful...for all of my blessings, each and every one and I try never to take them for granted. This has been such a lovely time and so wonderful to see places we have heard about all our lives. Sometimes I think we paint our worlds so small and forget there is so much more out there. Traveling puts things in perspective. Traveling with family is the best.

From the learning room...I have learned so many fun things this week. Did you know that it takes 40 gallons of maple sap to make one gallon of maple syrup! Did you know the sap looks like water when it comes out of the tree? Today I learned a lot about Mark Twain. What an interesting life he led. I learned that there are 62 lighthouses in Maine and one state has even more. Do you know which one?

I am reading... Fablehaven in tandem with Laura to our boys. Fun book. We have been reading in the car and we are all loving it.

I am wondering...about the people of the Gilded Age that lived in such opulence and had so few modern conveniences and life savers like anesthetics, antibiotics, etc. Mark Twain had a 12,000 square foot home here in Hartford. Just think about that size compared to your home or mine? Crazy, really crazy! The first indoor bathrooms in the country were in Newport, RI and Harford CT. We have see them on this trip. In Newport, one of the bathrooms we saw had four spickets into the marble tub...hot and cold fresh water and hot and cold salt water? Seriously?

I am hearing.... Laura read to the boys, freeway noises and and me crunching on licorice popcorn. I love black licorice and someone in Maine figured out how to put it on popcorn, now I hear Jim crunching on it too. I cannot believe we still have it after five days or so. We are savoring it! And no one under 30 is allowed to eat it...they had their own flavors. The best part was they were safe for Spencer...no nuts, no soy.

If I could change one thing...we would be able to pick up our house and magically transport it to Vermont, lock, stock and barrel. We could live there in a heartbeat...at least until the severe winters set in! The next best thing would be a mission at the Visitors' Center in Sharon, Vermont where Joseph Smith was born.

I am quoting...Mark Twain, "The lack of money is the root of all evil." "Always respect your superiors if you have any." Books are the liberation of the souls of men, "Those are the ones I remember from the Visitors' Center today. And Laura adds, "Always do right, it will gratify some and astonish the rest."

I am going....to visit Yale University tomorrow with the family and then we are heading back to their Island and Robert.

I am missing....our bed!

I am hoping....you will not forget me while I am gone. I love you my blogging friends.

One of my guilty pleasures....seafood, so far we have tried the lobster in Maine, crab cakes and fish and chips in Rhode Island, New England clam chowder and Calamari in New Hampshire.

One of my pet peeves...the weird hangers in hotels that don't come off the rod. Hate'em!

One of my favorite things.....Autumn Leaves and everything that goes with them but Halloween.

An enjoyable movie I have seen lately...Dare I say Letters to Juliet again? Laura had never seen it and I wanted to watch it with her as I knew she would love it...she did!

I am curious about...the incredible impact a large population has on a place. More people have flown past this window while I have been writing than we have seen in a week.

A few plans for the coming week....go to Yale, drive home to Laura and Robert's place, church on Sunday, Monday flake out, Tuesday head to Boston for a few days just with Jim and then over to Cape Cod. After that not too sure.

Here is a picture and thought I am sharing with you...

These guys are so much fun!
I have accumulated so many ♥ prints over the last weeks.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Hi Bon,
I am having so much fun "travling" with you and yours. Okay, I have to confess that I've never heard of the Gilmore Girls but if you enjoyed it, then it must be very good.

About the lighthouses...I'll say Michigan only because I have relatives there who insist that their state has the most of any state.

Mark Twain's home size boggles the mind! I'll have to google it to see a picture...:D

My mouth is watering for that licorice popcorn. My mother and I are the only people in our immediate family that enjoy licorice. I haven't found sugar-free licorice yet but there's hope!

Have fun my dear and savor every moment.

♥ you always,
Deanna :D

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bon,
So glad you are having such fun with your hubby and family. Vermont and New Hampshire were our favs when we traveled thru there. That bathtub with all the faucets sounds crazy,
especially fresh and salt water, that is a lil over the top I would say.

Licorice popcorn, I have to say I have never heard of that. I will only eat red licorice, don't care for the black. Enjoy it to the last lil piece. lol

Nice pic of Laura and the boys, and that was nice you watch letters to Juliet with Laura. It is on our que and we should get it next week. Looking forward to it.

Wonder how cold it gets in Rhode Island in the winter?? When Scott was in Maine they told him they had
14 ft. of snow, and we were just amazed! Can't even begin to imagine that!!

Well, have enjoy your trip.....
keep on truckin and havin fun!!

Of Course, we want forget you,
how could we ever forget you,
your such a great lady!!
Love and blessings, Nellie

sistersusiesays said...

WINDOW...Oh!!! Thank you! I forgot I was running water into the pool from the dry spell we have had. Evaporation happens fast in this dry weather.

THINKING...How tired I am. Today was our church's Fall Festival. I helped another member by video taping the events. So, from 10:00-2I was walking around using a 10 pound camera getting events on tape. Ron will later cut/paste his video tape with mine and make a DVD. Whoa!! I haven't walked that much while lifing "weights" in a long time. Was I bushed when I got home!

THANKFUL...for my family and friends, especially my new blogging friends. I'm so glad Nellie sent me to your blog, Bonnie!

LEARNING...To take my own advice! I had one of my kindergartner's this week not wanting to finish her activity, "I don't want to!" To which I replied, "I'm sorry, but there are things in life we have to do even though we don't want to." I found myself in a "Don't want to" position with all of the staff development meetings we have to go to this year, LOL!

READING...Nellie's older blogs when I first started responding to her blogs. (Thankful Thursdays) I have saved all of them with my responses. I have done the same with your "Woman's Daybook" only I have to keep my paper copy. I can't copy it from your blog!

WONDERING...The cleaning of those big houses. I'm glad I only have 1800 square feet to clean (and that's too much for me sometimes!)

HEARING...birds chirping in the background of the golf program I'm listening to (in surround sound)as I read your blog. It sounds like they are all around the room!

CHANGE...Let the nice cool weather we are having right now be a constant for year round!

QUOTING..I thought that was,"The love of money is the root of all evil."

GOING...to bed early tonight. I'm tired from today's walking! I will be getting up at 5:30 A.M. Sunday. I have the sound booth at church.

MISSING...my lazy days of summer.

HOPING...You would know, I would never forget you, my blogging friend!

GUILTY PLEASURE...Wendy's chocolate Frosty. I have been on a binge the last week or so!

PET PEEVE...the plastic hangers that the hooks turn! I never can use one hand to hang my shirt between others due to the hook turning just as I go to hang it!

FAVORITE THING...Pumpkin pie season.

MOVIE...the "Left Behind" series. I was so disappointed when it stopped on the third novel!

CURIOUS...At where the people come from! When I first moved to my community, we had 18,000 people. Now we have about 65,000!

WEEKLY PLANS...Getting report cards done (on-line with the county.) I just finished with the mid-term conferences. Now I will have to start again for the report cards! I "don't want to" but I have to, ha!
Love and hugs,
Susie

Caroline Craven said...

I am so loving your blog/trip. Kent and I have been to JS birthplace in Vermont, in fact, that is where I told him I was expecting Nicki. We camped out there and as I recall, it was a bit too chilly. If at all possible, you have to include a trip to Salem and see the House of Seven Gables. It is a beautiful little town. We went there once for Kent's birthday and stayed at a quiet little B&B. His birthday is the day before Halloween, and yes, we left town just as all with wirdo's (seriously) came in for the witches conventions. Beautiful town, but the weirdest thing to see it on All Hallows Eve! Enjoy the rest of your trip. P.S. I love black licorice - you know, there are only a few of us who appreciate the distinct and sophisticated taste of black licorice!!! However, my mind can't fathom black licorice flavored popcorn - really???