Monday, December 13, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook~December 13, 2010

To join in focusing on the simple things and pleasures of your daily life or to read other people's entries, you can click here.

So, For Today...Monday, December 13, 2010

Outside my window...it is cold and completely dark. It seems to be very still out, not even a tiny breeze is blowing. It looks like only a couple of days of sun this week, today is not supposed to be one of them :-(. But it will get up to 65 degrees so that is awesome.

I am thinking...about how we always want everything to be perfect at Christmas time and sometimes it just isn't. My heart goes out to so many this year. Close friends that are very ill, a friend who lost a much wanted baby at the third month of her pregnancy this week, learning that a recently married couple is struggling in their relationship, little children like, Hazie, that suffer with devastating illnesses. My heart aches for those that are so lonely, are estranged from their families, have lost loved ones. I am thinking of the elderly that miss their families and are struggling to go it alone, after the death of a spouse. I had a sweet friend apologize for still including a photo of herself and her diseased husband in her Christmas card. Is she kidding me? I loved that. I told her she should do it every year! So many things that just arouse my feelings of love and compassion and lift my heart in prayer for us all!

I am thankful for...The Savior of the World that brings comfort in times when the aforementioned seem to press heavily upon us all. We all get a turn to be refined and strengthened through our adversity. I am thankful that we know what the rewards will be if we endure these things well. I am thankful that we can rest assured that someone does understand, has been there, can feel our pain. I am thankful that we celebrate His birth at this time.

From the learning room..As both Jim and I have suffered with bouts of pain this past few months that we have been comforted by remembering the things just discussed. I am grateful for priesthood blessings, prayer and the improved health we are both feeling now and the great progress that Hazie has made since last month. It is wonderful to be filled with hope even when things aren't so rosy. I am remembering what my grandmother use to tell me, "Sunshine all the time produces only a desert." How very true that is!

I am reading...Mark Twain's autobiography that was just published. It is a huge book, I'll be on it awhile. Very interesting so far. Also I have been reading some Christmas books and watching all the Christmas movies in our collection. I love doing that, it is so fun and uplifting.

I am wondering...when I am going to get it all done??? We are leaving next week and there are still so many loose ends to tie up before we head out for another white Christmas. Like the tortoise I am pacing myself~slow and steady as she goes.

I am hearing...Song Bird by Kenny G. I have a playlist of just Christmas Instrumental music on my computer and this seems best when it still feels like the middle of the night outside.

Today if I could change one thing...that everyone would have a truly happy, merry, miraculous and loved-filled Christmas.

I am quoting...“People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” Elisabeth Keebler-Ross

I am going...to have a great week and enjoy our home, family and friends even if I don't get it all done. Real life has to take precedence over to do lists.

I am missing...our Christmas in Italy last year. What an amazing experience and Jim and I have enjoyed rereading the blog about it, and reliving some incredible moments and memories. http://pregopregoprego.blogspot.com

One of my guilty pleasures...buying myself a few little presents at Christmas time.

Pet Peeves..that property taxes are due in December. Seriously is this necessary, when there are 11 other months that would be better?

One of my favorite things...saving for Christmas all year so it doesn't become a financial nightmare.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...The Christmas Shoes.

I am curious about...people who cannot call a spade a spade or a Christmas tree a Christmas tree. It is not a Holiday tree! People who cannot say, "Merry Christmas" because it seems to not be politically correct or it might thwart their retail business or offend a non-believer.

A few plans for the rest of the week...participating in a progressive dinner and mini-Christmas home tour tonight with our Family Home Evening group, shopping for the family Christmas dinner on the 18th, visiting teaching on Wednesday night, cooking with Jim on Tuesday, finishing my electronic Christmas card, wrapping the stuff I didn't do last week, blogging about a fun day trip we did last week, getting two more gifts. I am at that point where everything is almost done, but nothing is completely done. You know it, right?

Here are some random photos I am sharing with you...Just Gearing Up! Burr!

Jen and Lowell's slip and slide ride to the street.
{{shudder}}


One gorgeous tree!

Breathtaking
screen saver

I love how the snow clings to the branches
and everything but the road!


Our guys, snow shoeing

Popsicle Picnic, anyone?

Burr, I'll not be sitting on this bench any time soon!

screen saver*
*The rest from our real life


3 comments:

margaret said...

I think it's nice that your friend included a photo of her late husband. Christmas is a time when people remember and sharing a photo is sharing a memory. As for 'Holiday Tree', how long before the PC nitwits realise holiday is a contraction of Holy Day and have to change it to something else???

Kisses to Hazel.

LA Adams said...

Thanks, this was a wonderful entry - touched my heart.

Marie Rayner said...

I always love your daybook entries Bonnie. I love the quotes and verses. I Loved the snowy pictures. I love your thoughts. Merry Christmas to you and the whole family. xxoo