Monday, May 23, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas Verde, 2 of 4

Ready to go in the oven!

Who doesn't love Mexican food? It is such a comfort food, isn't it? Whenever I collect a recipe for an ethnic dish I try hard to find a great one that comes from someone who actually is Italian or Mexican or Chinese. This one comes from my sister-in-law, Emily who has Mexican heritage and a real knack for cooking! This recipe is really a great one!

I like to keep three or four large cans of this sauce or the La Victoria on hand. I used two cans plus a little more to make 24 enchiladas. And I will need more to pour over the enchiladas right before serving topped with a little sour cream. I do use the fat free sour cream but isn't that like drinking a diet drink with a big meal? This is not something you can eat weekly if you are watching your weight but it is great once in awhile. It is a treat, not a staple.

I like to cook and shred the chicken the day before and then gather up all the ingredients before assembling. Once you start the assembly of the enchiladas you will not be wanting to stop and go looking for anything. It is messy! I just boil the chicken in salted water for 20 minutes, let cool and pull it apart. Shred the cheese in advance and set aside. Chop up some onions and then open a couple of cans (2-3) of Ortega chopped chiles and black olives.


I like to thicken the sauce and heat it but you don't have to. I do thicken mine with a few tablespoons of corn starch mixed with equal parts of water and added to the sauce while heating it. It just adheres better to the medium sized flour tortillas.


Dip a tortilla and then place it in your Pyrex dish and fill the center with a little chicken, onions, chiles, olives and shredded jack cheese. Gently roll placing the opening at the bottom of the dish so it doesn't unroll. I like to do mine pretty tight so I can get more in the baking dish. Repeat until your dish is full.



When the enchiladas are ready to bake I sprinkle with a little paprika and a little cheese. I bake it @350 for 45 minutes or so, until the enchiladas are piping hot. Then remove from the oven and let them set up a little before serving. I use to make a lot of red enchiladas but these are really so much better.

I don't use a lot of exact measurements. I am sorry I am one of those cooks that just goes by intuition on that sort of thing. Hopefully the photos will give you an idea of how much you will need for two 9x13 pans.

You will need:

Cooked shredded chicken
Tortillas
Green Enchilada Sauce
Corn Starch to thicken
Chopped Onions
Diced Mild Chiles
Chopped Olives
Monterey Jack Cheese
Sour Cream to be added according to taste before eating.
Extra sauce for the table.

Enjoy!
Post #1401 Since Dec 2007!

5 comments:

deila taylor said...

Thanks, this looks great. I needed a new idea for this week.

sistersusiesays said...

Bonnie, is there any way I can save this blog to a file!!!? I would love to fix this (except for the chot chili peppers, ha!)

My mouth is still watering!
Susan

Sara said...

Oh I love love love these enchiladas! They are so delish!

Marie Rayner said...

Those look so good Bonnie! We can't get most of those ingredients over here though, well the Mexican stuff at any rate. We can get the chicken, onions and cheese! I guess they will have to remain a dream for me! xxoo

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

We love enchiladas and I have a few
different recipes for them, but never tried them with the green sauce, so that would be fun. I was just thinking I need to do a mexican night
for the family sometime they would enjoy this. Oh, maybe for Father's day!! Thanks for the idea!!
Blessings for a great weekend.

Love ya, Nellie