Saturday, July 30, 2011

It's All About Family

The Y
It has been awhile since I have been able to attend classes at BYU. I had forgotten how much I love it here. I have always loved an academic environment and I enjoy taking classes and learning from the experts. This conference on Genealogy and Family History has been the best conference I have ever attended.

Here are some of the things I did this week:

1. I was able to spend time with both of Lowell's parents as they were at 'the crossroads of the west' here with me. They were just passing through so we shared bits and pieces of a few days together.

We do so love them! Had a nice Pioneer Day dinner with them here at Lowell and Jen's. Jennifer made homemade honey ice cream for the Beehive State and her Utah chocolate dipped shortbread cookies! Is she not the cutest? Next year she revealed it will be wagon wheel cookies and Rocky Road ice cream!

Weight Watchers...note this wonderful portion control!

2. Monday night we had Family Home Evening in the canyon not far from Sundance. We were to go for a "little walk" from Vivian Park to Bridal Veil Falls. It landed up helping me reach a goal of walking a 3.5k for Weight Watchers. Woohoo. As much as I love all aspects of nature and the beautiful creations of our Father in Heaven...I am not much of a sporty, outdoorsy kind of girl. Sad and shocking I know, but true. Poor Jim who is the total opposite. Well, I like it if it's no farther than about a mile or two from the car and there is no sweating involved.

Asphalt is kind of nice too if I get to choose!

Beautiful scenery and great company help too.


But, as lovely as it was...

My feet were killing me, I wish I could find the perfect pair walking shoes. When we started to notice that it was not only getting dark but about to rain I perked up and we walked a lot faster, just barely escaping two blisters. We got pretty wet that night. Ever try to cram 6 wet people and a dog in a sedan? Fun! This may come as a big surprise to you but, we are not small people. LOL! We took two cars and left one at each end of the river walk, thank heavens. We had to all cram in the car at Bridal Veil as there was no shelter to wait under while the other car was retrieved.

3. I got to meet a really wonderful cyber friend/cousin (hopefully 97% sure) in person and it was a joyous experience. He is so nice as well as brilliant... and we got to have lunch together on Tuesday between the classes he was teaching at the conference. I got be go into the faculty lunch room! For a genealogist a bit like going backstage at a great concert, don't ya think?

Steve
We have been corresponding for several months on Jim's Italian line. Steve has been more than generous in sharing his research findings with us and it was so nice to be able put a face and some time and a hug into the equation.

4. I got to spend time with Chris and Missy's family during the conference in the evenings and we had a great time. Chris walked me to class each morning and home again in the evenings. Got totally drenched getting home on Tuesday night. It was raining so Missy came to get us. Then Chris ran down to get in the driver's seat and drove up the super wide sidewalk practically to the door. In spite of having to walk only a few feet to the car I was totally soaked to the bone. It was like standing under a fire hose. Haven't seen rain like that since Mississippi.

5. Every day at the conference was just outstanding! One day Piper came to have lunch with me and that was really neat. It may be the first time she and I have had lunch alone. We giggled and chatted for an hour and a half. We sat outside under the pavilion of the Conference Center and it was so great. I loved that.

Pipey! She is such a doll.

6. Jim and I texted a lot and that made it a lot nicer being apart. He had a very busy week as did I, but it was fun to almost be side by side with this great technology. I am happy to be getting back home to him tonight.

7. I took Chris and family out to dinner on Thursday night and Jen and family out last night. Both nights were a lot of fun. We have found it is just too many people to be able to talk to anyone with all of us in a restaurant at one time. Can you say...b e d l a m? It is the very least I could do for them, they are so sweet to me.

8. I have been pretty tired every night due the intense, technical aspects of the classes and all I was trying to "capture" (new genealogy buzz word for me.) But I was treated to a foot message most nights while I was here at Jen's by Julia. Last night for a few minutes, Chloe and Hazie got into the act.

Chloe said, "Gramma, why do your feet
have crinkles on the bottom?"

I wish I knew?
That is one place I had forgotten to look for them!

They are having quite the discussion over it. Aren't kids the cutest things on the planet? You always know where you stand (and in this case what you stand on) where they are concerned.

9. This morning we got up early and went out to yard sales for awhile and to breakfast, the Farmers' Market and back to the mall so I could use my 2nd Birthday gift card at my favorite store. Woohoo! Thanks, Kids!

10. I had a pretty powerful experience with genealogy this week and I feel it really pointed me in a new direction in my life. I saw things that I need and want and am supposed to be doing! So the week has brought much joy and happiness and redirection. There were also lots of hugs and kisses from the grandies and face to face time with the kids and our friend/cousin, Stephen. What a blessing. The only thing missing was Grampa and I am about to fix that, so life is good! It's all good.

I will be glad to get home and see him and hear all about the huge renovation they will have completed by this coming Monday in the Temple. I am so proud of him, he has been putting in countless service hours to complete the project in just three weeks. My plane leaves in a few hours! Home is sounding good. I need a rest but actually it is not very likely!

I have missed blogging this week but just do not know how I could have squeezed it in. Missed you all and hope you are well. Love, ;-B

3 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like an amazing experience! Welcome home.

J. Dormer said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I love reading your blog.

sistersusiesays said...

Just as I think my taste has been satified, you tell of delicious treats that gets my mouth to watering again, ha!

What a nice walk! I'm okay as long as I don't have to go up or downhill. My knee then doesn't want to cooperate!

How wonderful to finally meet you cousin face to face!

Rain - so needed in Texas. I was hoping the tropical storm would have brought them rain, but it went mostly south.

Isn't it amazing that fun can tire you out as much as work! Of course the fun is so much more enjoyable!

I would much rather have wrinkles on the bottom of my feet than on my face. It just so happens I not that fortunate, lol!

I'm so glad my geneology shares "Before the world was, I knew you!" What a great GOD we have!

Love to you and yours,
Susan