Sunday, July 31, 2011

Riding The Wave

San Francisco, July 2011

When I was at the Genealogy Conference this past week one of the speakers said, "We don't have to create the wave we just need to learn how to ride it."

He was speaking of the rapid advancements in technology and the digitization of the world's genealogical records that are being made available to all.

It just made me think of this photo I took a few weeks ago and how this surfer was struggling to ride that wave against tremendous counter forces. The surfer was making a gigantic effort to stay on top of it, he had a great passion for his sport, but that wave was like a bucking bronco. But he managed through sheer grit determination and practice to stay standing.

It is how I often feel about genealogy. I love it and I know I am supposed to be doing it but that bucking bronco wave these last months has been a challenge. Not because I didn't have the passion...well, qualifying that, it was budding, shall we say? It is a perennial flower in my garden and has been popping up in one way or another all my life. Who else do you know that completed their own baby book at age 7 because their mom was too busy taking care of her family?

Working 8 hours a day at a Regional Genealogical Center weekly requires that you know something. Well, I think I do know a lot about it having been at it periodically for about 30 years. I have always had the desire. Problem was it was more off than on when it came to actually DOING it while raising kids, working full time, taking care of my mom and, doing my church callings, etc. etc.

So the last 7 months have been like starting over in many ways. Genealogy is a living, ever-changing, huge beast, in spite of its preoccupation with the deceased. They may be resting in peace but we who are searching for them are not. At least not those of us who only have an inclination of HOW to do the research.

This conference was my piece de resistance, it was the thing that changed my paradigm from thinking I will never get this to...yes, I will. In a play on words, it was what brought the peace to my resistance. It helped me visualize the big picture and helped me fill in some of the holes in my Swiss cheese conception of the whole thing.

Dashing my resistance against the rocks!

I was able to spend a whole week with people that enlightened me and inspired me, and taught how things that seem impossible can be achieved one step at a time. I got a glimpse from their brilliance of what is possible. I love each of those teachers for what they have given me. The generosity in sharing what they have was incomparable. I want to be able to help people in that way someday.

Well, I am no genealogical surfer yet and that wave is huge and frightening and moving lots faster than I am. But I am finally standing up on the board, I love it. I am excited and determined to learn as much as I possibly can while I continue on with my family history through blogging. Jim and I are both going to learn this stuff and share it! We want to pay it forward! We are not retired ~ we are just rewired! The blessing of discretionary time is the option of choices. Now to determine the way I am going to accomplish this work little by little, precept upon precept. I have already made a to do list that is several pages long.

Some of Aunt Jean's flowers from her recent funeral.

A very special thank you to Dan Lynch, D. Josh Taylor, Ransom Love, Barry Ewell and most especially, Stephen Ehat. You are my heroes! Wild Horses couldn't keep us away from this conference next year.

"You are not dead and gone until you are forgotten."
Another quote from the Conference.

2 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Sounds like you are on fire about all of this..as we all should be. My mom was the family genealogist all her life and was always on fire about it. I just can't seem to get into it..I love the pictures and the stories and I have done work with all of that in getting it ready and out to all the family but that is where I stop. Great pictures here! :D

sistersusiesays said...

"Catch a wave and your sittin' on top of the world..." Remember that Beach Boys song? I think I would rather try a calm wave than I would a rough bull ride, ha! I know physically I could do neither; however, spiritually the LORD assists no matter what we are led to do! I can't thank Him enough for that!! The LORD does give contentment and joy when we search Him out in all things we do!
Love to you and yours,
Susan