Monday, August 1, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~August 2, 2011

Just For Today...

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

As my friend Marie's says about writing a daybook post or reading one," It is like sitting down together for a chat over tea."

Outside my window...it is dark and about 10:30 Monday night. It is cool and I feel a little chilly after being in the desert for a week. Still I am keeping my window open trying to capture all this lovely cool air in case tomorrow decides to be summer.

I am thankful for...My brother, Steve, being able to continue on with his second round of chemo today. His white count levels were quite low at the end of last week but over the weekend they rose to acceptable. He shaved off his hair this week just so he would not have to watch it falling out in big chunks. He is handling it all with humor and took a photo of Emily and their two dogs and photo, then he shopped them into baldies to show their support. I am thankful for the comfort he has been given through many prayers.

From the learning room...I think I have learned more in one week on every level then I have in a long, long time. I learned I can do a 3.5k, who knew?? I learned that I feel happier when I am more spiritually involved in service to others. Actually, of people, places and things. Actually, I knew that before but it took on some extra meaning for me this week. I also noticed it helps me get rid of negative thinking about people, places and things! I learned a lot about genealogy, technology, and about trusting my instincts and impressions more. I reaffirmed that I love being around good people and that there are some very amazing individuals that make up this world.

I am reading...Google Your Family Tree by Daniel Lynch, the Conference syllabus, and online tutorials.

From the kitchen...All is well I went shopping today and got the weekly plan under control. I lost weight last week, a miracle to be sure!

I am wondering...why it takes me a life time to learn things I maybe should have known long ago? I guess everyone's path is unique. Perhaps it matters more that we do learn it, than when it occurs.

I am hearing...Classical flute music coming from Jim's workshop. He leaves his radio on all the time. It is kind of nice really. When approaching our front door you can always hear some soft music playing if you listen.

I am wearing...
a blue and white nightgown.

Today if I could change one thing...that Robert would not be leaving for Afghanistan in a few months. Just really cannot go there until I have to but, I do notice it there in the windmills of my mind, most days.

I am quoting...sometimes hymns we sing in church bring tears to my eyes. This is part of a song that always touches my heart. We sang it on Sunday. "Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly? In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see. Who am I to judge another? Lord I would follow thee." Lord I Would Follow Thee, LDS Hymn #220

I am going...to Weight Watchers right now, celebrating my miracle of losing weight in Utah. Thank you God and Lanette and the 3.5 K.

I am missing...Utah and all the people we love there. Rhode Island and all the people we love there. Heaven and all the people we love there. I guess it is all about people when it comes to missing.

One of my guilty pleasures...our bedroom chandelier I still love that thing. It is such a touch of whimsey in our cottage and I absolutely love that element of decorating. Nothing too stuffy is allowed around this place.

Pet Peeves...sleepless nights when the off button to the brain is malfunctioning.

One of my favorite things...That my friend, Lee gave me the bracelet off her arm because it took my breath away when I sat next to her in church. Now don't all you other bracelet lovers try to get my seat next week, OK? It is just gorgeous and is a charm bracelet with lots of chunky black, gray and clear stones. I am in L O V E with it and her for being so generous. She actually bought two of them she said. She and I have a lot of fun over our jewelery collections and when I tried to get her to let me pay her for it, she reminded me I gave her one off my arm in church once too.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Watching BBC'S Daniel Dornado right now with James. We are enjoying it very much. If we watched TV I'd subscribe to BBC America. They do such a great job on everything.

I am curious about...how some of the very cool women in my life are fairing at Girls' Camp right now.

A few plans for the rest of the week...work today, farmer's market and WW meeting right away, tomorrow no big plans..yippee! Thursday clean house and work on my paperwork transcribing notes from the conference, etc, or day out with James depending on his plans. Friday, date night, weekend relax!

Here is a photo and some thoughts I am sharing with you...


I love you, Norma and Barbara. You are the type of women that I admire so much. Always serving, always lifting and making healthy contributions to everyone around you. Serving this week at Girls' Camp, your vacation time, for yet another year, is being used for others. All I can say is those lucky, lucky girls to have adult leaders and mentors to show them how to be. And I love that you are having a lot of fun in the process. Service is essential to happiness and fun is essential to a healthy mind, body, spirit and heart. Lead on, ladies! May the force be with you! We miss you already!




2 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...It is 2:00 p.m., hot, breezy, and a possible hurricane by the weekend! My Savior walks on the stormy waters; my prayer is He will calm the storm, Emily.
THANKFUL...For Steve's life and testimony to others. I continue to keep him on my daily prayer list. I'm thankful to our GOD Who Heals!
LEARNING...that putting Almighty GOD first in everything I do, gives Him the Glory to lead me where He wants me to go!
READING...(No books right now.)
KITCHEN...Yea! Good for you on the weight loss!! Mine "giggles" between 2-3 pounds (down, up, down, up, etc) So, I stay the same :-(
WONDERING...What the LORD has instore for me!!
HEARING...I went in singing a silly song to my macaw, Max this morning while dancing in my nightgown. 2nd chorus around, he quickly commented, "I don't wanna hear that!" (He's heard me say that when I go in to see what he's squawking about!) LOL!
WEARING...Shorts and a t-shirt that says, "Teach me to laugh, teach me to love, teach me to live!"
CHANGE...Bring all of our military personnel home and quit giving billions of dollars to other countries while we go "under."
QUOTING... I'm so glad GOD's WORD shares with us the difference between judging and discernment. For the Holy Spirit leads our discerning in order to witness to those whose "actions" show they are not of GOD. Planting His Seed of Salvation is not done in a manner of judging (for all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of GOD), but hopefully with the discernment from GOD's Holy Spirit it will guide and lead both the sower and those being sown to.
MISSING...having had my flooring done by now.
GUILTY PLEASURE...I had some coffee from Boston's Coffee Shop as I met with my friend for brunch!
PET PEEVE...to always have a fan blowing on me! There's just something about the breeze blowing across me!
FAVORITE...my new earrings my teacher friend, Sylvia gave me for retirement.
MOVIE...Pilgrim's Progress
CURIOUS...What my teacher friends are doing in their rooms to get ready!
WEEK...receiving 10% from my retirement, finish getting my new medical insurance finalized, finish moving all of my "state" accounts to my own FDIC protected annuities and other protected funds that my lawyer and financial advisors are assisting. FINALLY ready to get my floors done (next week )-: )

Love the picture!! Aren't you glad we NEVER really have that bad of a hair day! LOL!
Love to you and yours,
Susan

Marie Rayner said...

Bonnie, I love your daybook as always. I do so love visiting with you and miss you when you are away! I will keep Robert in my prayers. I also have a son in the military and I dread him ever having to go to Afghanistan. ((((hugs)))) Love, LOVE your picture thought! What dears!! I keep your brother in my prayers as well. Cancer is such a despicable disease. I find myself wishing that we lived closer so that we could go for long walks (exercise) together and chat the whole way. I think we would be great friends. xxoo