Monday, August 8, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook~August 8, 2011




Just For Today...
Monday, August 2, 2011

As my friend Marie's says about writing a daybook post or reading one," It is like sitting down together for a chat over tea."


Outside my window...The sun is shining brightly and the breeze is refreshing. I'd like to be out for a walk but instead have been cleaning and doing laundry and getting ready for the new week. I thought when I needed a break I'd just come over to the office and fill in a few of these weekly questions.

I am thankful for...faith in the Savior of the World. Faith in the Lord to get us through the rough spots. Faith in a Father in Heaven that wants us to learn of Him and put oil in our lamps daily so that we are fortified when we need it. I am thankful for obedience because I know He never asks us to do something that isn't good for us. I am thankful for being able to feel His love even when people and situations in the world make me feel lonely. I am thankful for my wonderful husband our family and friends. I am thankful that we feel a safe haven in our home in the midst of all that is going on around us because of our faith and love for the Gospel.

From the learning room...Life is short, live it well.

I am reading...genealogy research guides and a book about Google. I want to read Haven by Ruth Gruber. I learned of this amazing woman last night. If you don't know of her accomplishments Google her!

From the kitchen...I need to clean out the refrigerator, wipe down my cabinets and run to the store today. I think we'll have tacos for dinner and some watermelon.

I am wondering...if I will actually get all the things on my "to do" list done today?? I hope I do as we want to go to SF in the morning to look for an important vital record for our friend before work.

I am hearing...Al Green, How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?

I am wearing...jeans, a printed top in chocolate and coral and tan.


Today if I could change one thing...The loss of the Navy Seals this week. What a tremendous tragedy and for what? I am devastated and heart sick for the families and the young lives lost. When will we ever learn that war is not a solution to everything we disagree over. How do we eliminate the selfishness, the greed and hunger for ultimate power and property? Jesus Christ and His teachings.

I am quoting..."You cannot lift another until you are standing on higher ground than he is. You must be sure, if you would rescue the man, that you yourself are setting the example of what you would want him to be. You cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul. " Harold. B. Lee

I am going...to go to the bank and Weight Watchers today, and get all my cleaning done.

I am missing...My Daddy! Today is the anniversary of his birthday. He would be 94 today had he lived. As it was, he only saw 61 years in this life. I have been missing him for a very long time. He was a great man.

Mom and Dad

One of my guilty pleasures...Chocolate Zone bars, fruit and milk for breakfast. (It has helped me lose over two stones, Marie!)

Pet Peeves...The price of gold being $1703.60 this morning. The next thing we know hoodlums will be highjacking gold crowns from people's mouths. And the stock market...holy cow. Good work Washington!

One of my favorite things...not listening to the news and just staying in my little house where I know the world is a better place than it appears to be. Too much information is not healthy sometimes.

An enjoyable movie I have watched lately...Haven. I am not really calling it enjoyable as it is about the Holocaust, but it was very enlightening and the story of how one woman did a lot to help many. I would highly recommend it, it is a true story. And it is something we all need to know about.

I am curious about...life in general. It is quite the Mad Hatter's ride, isn't it?

A few plans for the rest of the week...lots of work left to do today, go over the Education Week schedule with Jim for Family Night, SF County Clerk's Office in SF tomorrow morning and then work. Nails and haircut appointments, get packing for Utah and then going to temple, last minute stuff and then the rubber hits the road again. Education Week 2011, can't wait. It has been too long since I have been to it and Jim never has. It will be fantastic.

Here is a photo and some thoughts I am sharing with you...


Hazie's mom got a haircut. I love it. It makes her look so perky and sassy and adorable. All of which describes her pretty well. She is evidence that even through many heavy trials a person can be happy and enjoy life. She is such a pioneer and she just keeps going! Sometimes you can just look at your child and feel so overwhelming thankful for her~that is me today!







3 comments:

deila taylor said...

I enjoyed your thoughts today, and agree with so many. My dad used to listen to Al Green, he passed on too, but made it to almost 80. Still miss him though.

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...it s dark (10:p.m.) and slightly raining.
THANKFUL...GOD is ahead of my finances. He knows my needs.
LEARNING...To trust the LORD completely.
READING...my financial portfolio that seems to be getting smaller without me spending any of it!
KITCHEN...Just finished shopping today for the next 2 weeks.
WONDERING...If I can ever get up at 5:30 a.m. again!
HEARING...about the bungling of our economic crises!
WEARING...well since it is late, I'm in what my mom used to say is, "my gowntail!"
CHANGING...gaining things with words of kindness, losing things for words of cruelty. Just think how rich one could be!
QUOTING..."Some people's minds are like cement; all mixed up and permanently set!" (Whoops, I just lost something!)
GOING...to tighten up my budget.
MISSING...As do we all! I miss my dad too, who passed away 19 years ago. The time doesn't seem to be that long.
PLEASURE...to go out and eat (so I don't have to cook for myself.)
PET PEEVE...that the money I put into 401's aren't taken back by the govt. due to their crushing of the economy.
FAVORITE...loving on my dogs and being loved back no matter what goes by the wayside with the world.
MOVIE...watching bull riding! Why do these guys put themselves through such pain to try and stay on a bucking bull for 8 seconds; worse yet, being bucked off and stomped on!
CURIOUS...about the older we get, the more we realize what's going on around us. The youth seem to be oblivious to it. Was this so when we were younger too?
WEEK...decide if I should have my living room floor done, or hang on to the cash for the coming days!

Love to you and yours,
Susan

Marie Rayner said...

Love your day book as always Bonnie! I love reading your thoughts and the goings on in your life. COngrats on the almost two stone. I wish we had Zone Bars over here! Not sure what they are, but if they can keep you from induldging in other things they have to be fab! Lucky you! My heart is breaking for England at the moment. So much violence and lawlessness is happening through rioting and looting. There is no reason for it. It is simply a criminal element of Youths who think they can get away with it and so they do it with no thought or care to those they are harming. It's so very sad.