Monday, December 26, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook


Taking a Moment to Contemplate the Journey!

Just For Today...Monday, December 26, 2011

Our lives pass swiftly by!
I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts.
That is what this daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One week at a time.

Outside my window...I am viewing the beautiful ocean that surrounds this island. Where I am sitting is about the best place for a writer I have ever been with the exception of Yosemite perhaps. It is peaceful, quiet, private and glorious. What more could one desire for inspiration? It is a beautiful clear, windy day and I can see the white caps on the water from the desk. The water looks like a deep sapphire pool.

I am thankful for...all people in my life that have blessed me so deeply. Family, friends, leaders, teachers, parents, role models, children, grandbabies, siblings, siblings of different mothers or in other words the people that feel like siblings...neighbors, past work associates and clients, aunts, uncles, cousins, people with extreme faith, courage, talents and intelligence, people that have touched my life and those who have left us to return home to our Father. The ones that have made extreme sacrifices to make my own life better. I love them and am so grateful.

I am reading... Scriptures, the Pioneer Woman's Cookbook, Christmas stories and blogs and genealogy newsletters. Oh, and Rhode Island toursita info.

From the Kitchen...We are still eating leftovers from our Christmas Eve extravaganza. The whole family made a big dinner for some guests and we made a ton of the best Italian meatballs. We are still eating them. The boys enjoyed this, especially Spencer. He is becoming quite the little chef just like his Grampa, and his great, great, great grandfather before him.

I am missing....absolutely nothing except Robert. Our life is very full and we are so blessed.

I am hearing...one of my favorite songs..Celine Dion singing "Have You Ever Been In Love?" Well, have you?

I am wearing...black pants a dark teal shirt and a multi-colored scarf with mostly black and teal and a few other colors, black socks and shoes and jewelry, watch and ummm that is it.

I am quoting..."Never leave the house in sweats. A girl must be prepared to meet a dashing stranger or an old enemy!" I think this is funny!

Some things that made me happy this past week...getting ready for Christmas here in Rhode Island and being with Laura and the boys. Meeting their wonderful neighbors and friends and visiting the boy's school and attending their Christmas concert, having a caroling party and a dinner party with friends, attending their ward and several activities, hearing Laura sing and Ross play the piano and the watching the boys take a karate belt test and advance in their Marshall Arts skills with new belts, talking to Robert on Skype. Driving around the island as a family, shopping with Laura, lunch out with Jim and Laura on different days and once together. New England Fish and Chips and High Tea. Visiting the mansion in Bristol. A whole glorious day with Laura. Shopping with my girl. All things vacation and Christmas. Getting a peak at life in New England. Love it.

One of my guilty pleasures...drinking a glass of egg nog with Ross. Yummm. Even the lowfat is good.

Pet Peeves...schedules that are just too full. I am really enjoying the kick back days here on the island.

I am going...To write all day long today. What a luxury.

One of my favorite things...living in the moment and savoring it. Also daydreaming of the past and future.

An enjoyable movie I have seen lately.....I got the series, Lark Rise to Candleford for Christmas from someone who always knows exactly want I want...me. You should always buy yourself a present, don't you agree? Anyway, Laura has not seen it so we started it yesterday afternoon. I have been wanting to buy it since the minute I first got hooked on it. Now she is thinking of doing the same.

I am curious about....how I can listen to "Caruso" by Pavarotti a million times and never tire of it. Somehow this is true as I have put it to the test of time. It has become more beautiful over time actually.

If I could change one thing it would be...that earth life was more like heaven..peace, love, safety, wellness, extreme joy and in God's presence all the time.

A few plans for the rest of the week...Jim and I may go away to Cape Cod on an overnighter if the weather looks like it is going to hold in the non-snow pattern we have become accustomed to since our arrival. Laura and I are going to go on some more holiday home tours in Newport this week in the evenings, we'll do some fun things with the boys, there are probably a few movies in the plans, there is an ice skating party hosted by their school on the 30th and the night before we may all go to a string quartet concert in the Blythewold Mansion. Grampa has projects and adventures planned and Laura and I can probably occupy ourselves very nicely doing girl things. No plans for New Year's Eve yet. Probably just a quiet time with the family is my guess. The best part is I don't have to worry about anything but just being here and enjoying it. Who can complain? Not me. Life rarely seems this uncomplicated.

A few photos and thoughts...the other night we went for about an hour's drive to see the Catholic Shire of La Sallate in Massachusetts. It is something like their version of The Salt Lake Temple Square Christmas Lights, but much larger. It is several acres of lights and there is a large lake, concession stands, a merry-go-round and trolley car rides and the like. It was so fun to go out there and see so many people out with their families enjoying this lovely display that had to take weeks to put up and lots of helping hands.




They had an incredible number of creches that belong to the shrine that people have donated and that were fun to see. They were from all over the world and while some were very simple others were quite elaborate. Spencer enjoyed taking some photos of them. They also had a huge artists display of pictures of Christ.

There were thousand and thousands of lights
to illuminate the heart, night and the season!

Laura approved this photo to be published. So I am publishing it even though only she and Spencer photographed well here! Ha ha, she is her mother incarnate. Honestly, how does that happen? I thought no one disliked their own pictures less than me, but maybe she does. I tell her that she is beautiful in every photo but her response is often, "Mom, to a mother every beetle is a gazelle!" Love my silly, precious, very beautiful girl.


4 comments:

Nicki Dunn said...

Great blog. Kent and I have also discovered "Lark Rise" and love it. They were showing some of the episodes on our public tv, just enough to get us hooked, and then they quit showing them. The mansion tour was great. Beautifully decorated rooms. Looks like you are having tons of fun out there in Rhode Island. I was thinking of all of you missing Robert and him missing you over the weekend. You were all in my prayers. By the way, this is Caroline, not Nicki.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
So enjoyed your post and hearing what you have been up to lately.
Tell Laura I think she is beautiful
and I'm not her MOM!! lol

Nice pic of all of you! We are our own worst critics, that is for sure.
I am the same way.

So glad yall are having a good time
in spite of missing Robert, know that has to be hard on everyone.
How is he doing???

So nice they do have skype, cause nice to be able to see them, cause you can tell a lot by their countenance. Laura looks pretty good I have to say.

Well, Sweetie, keep having a great time.........you are right we need to savor every moment of every day.
God's Richest blessing to you all,
Take Care, and come by when you get a chance, miss ya!
Love and Blessings, Nellie

Marie Rayner said...

Oh what a lovely time you have been having Bonnie!! I miss eggnog! I loved Larkrise to Candleford as you know. Have you found Downtown Abby yet? If not, you really must, MUST!!! It's absolutely fabulous! Just watched the Christmas Special here on Christmas day and it was wonderful. I can't wait for the next season to start! One of the best series ever, as well as Cranford, which is also excellent. xxoo

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...It is a crisp 65 degrees, ha! And, we have another cold front coming!
THANKFUL...for my GOD' love for me, family, friends, pets, and my health!
READING...My Bible with three different commentaries and my daily journal writing.
KITCHEN...WOW! Jim and Nellie got me a Magic Bullet for Christmas. It does great for grinding, making muffins...I can hardly wait for it to warm up so I can make my fruit smoothies!
MISSING...One of the White Boots twins on my back property (ferrel cat.)
HEARING...nothing but my computer whirling.
QUOTING...Eccl. 10:2, "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." What a befitting statement for today's politicians and their followers!
HAPPY...spending time with my family at Christmas, my neighbor friends at the Magic game in Orlando, Alice (my neighbor) for New Year's Eve, my neighbors George and Lillian giving me beautiful writing paper with a beagle pup on its sheets. My pets wanting to be near me so much that I have to stand up for air, ha!
PLEASURE...enjoying my Christmas meals even though they may have had more "fat" than I should eat!
PET PEEVE...staying out of the crowds during a busy season of shopping.
I'M GOING...to make me some breakfast when I'm finished (It's 12:01 p.m. NOW! Whoa!)
FAVORITE...show on t.v., Marc Morrone's Petkeeping on Hallmark network at 12:30 p.m. daily!
MOVIE...A Dog Named Christmas! What a beautiful story of a special needs boy and a retriever that was only taken in until a home could be found for it!
CURIOUS...at how certain movies at certain times for the year, I can watch them again year after year!
CHANGE...That now would be the time that GOD would have us be with Him forever.
WEEK... leisure today then a movie with Alice later (at my house with in surround sound), sound system at church tomorrow, experimenting with my Magic Bullet recipes for creamed soups, shortbreads, chicken salads.......
THOUGHTS...at how there were so very few nightlight decorations this year as I went down a 6 mile stretch that used to have just about every house decorated. This year there were only 7 homes in that 6 mile stretch :-(

Love to you and yours and a fantastic New Year's Blessing from our GOD and Savior upon you and your family,
Susan