Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Simple Woman's Daybook~ Sept 27, 2012


Just for today~September 27, 2012
 
Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One week at a time.


 

Outside my window...It is 1:15 P.M. and the sky is bright blue and it is cool.  At least it is here in the house where we are protected from the hot sun by large shade giving trees.  It is 72 right now outside and that seems a little chilly.  But it is supposed to reach 90 today so we'll see.  So far my long sleeved shirt and hoodie feel just right.  I thought I would have started on this much earlier but instead I was treated to a lovely visit from one of my favorite friends whom I have not seen in quite awhile due to our crazy summer schedules.  Faye, thank you for your visit and gift.  So sweet of you!


I am thankful for...discretionary time during the day.  I don't think I could ever go back to the rigid schedules we use to keep.  Even though we are very busy we are not on someone else's schedule and for that I am very grateful!  It makes serendipity and spontaneous time spent with friends work so well.

From the learning room...I am learning that with faith and prayer we can carry on through trying times and come out just fine.  Robert has returned to the US and is now relaxing at home with his family before starting his new assignment.  We are so thrilled he is safe and well and happy to be home.  We are so grateful for the Lord's watchful eye over him while he was gone this past year and for taking such good care of Laura and the boys too.  We are grateful for the dedicated service they have all rendered to all of us for our freedoms.

I am reading...Another S. Michael Wilcox book about prayer.  Excellent!  His Sunset still lingers with me, I think it always will.

From the kitchen...Having the two missionaries over for dinner tonight.  We are having Mexican food.  We had a dinner party here on Monday and there were a ton of leftovers so lucky me.  I didn't have to come up with a plan.  This past week someone mentioned they had heard of a woman whose husband said she had "Menupause!"  Yep that is what ails me.  I just can never think of anything that sounds appealing so I must have menupause too.  Such a clever new word and so real!


I am missing...all the kids.  This is what happens when we do not see them for a month or so.  And I am really missing seeing Robert at home with his family after a very long year of separation.  We are so happy and thank all of you for your good wishes and many prayers.  My heart always longs for loved ones far away. 

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...how merciful God is and how many blessing we each receive on a daily basis.  They are just so numerous and easy to take for granted.  I try not to and to remember what he has done for us all.  Yesterday I woke up with a terrible toothache and was able to get right in to our endodontist and get a root canal.  At the time I wasn't thinking  "Wow I am so blessed to be spending my day in the dental chair having a root canal!"  But I should have been.  It is so great to be pain free today after a miserable 24 hours.  Sometimes having our carefree, pain free moments taken away we have a much clearer picture of what we should be thanking the Lord for daily.  Like the simple grace in just being able to be alive and well.


I am hearing... Sleep Tight a lullaby by Celine Dion.  Little Hazie's favorite song.   Our littlest angel turned 5 on the 24th.  She has been a very extraordinary blessing in our lives.  She was soooo excited to be having her birthday.


One of my guilty pleasures...afternoon naps.  I need them because we wake up so early.

Pet Peeves...People without manners or any sense of propriety or circumspection.

I am going...to go to the Family History Center in our town tonight and help a lady gather some information about her ancestors.  Such a rewarding and fun way to spend an evening.

I am quoting... 
I am so grateful for a good father and husband and the fathers of our grandchildren and all the good fathers that are our friends.  One such special friend shared a letter to his son this week with me and it was so touching to see the love for his son expressed several times and in several ways in that letter.  When children grow up with a father like that, they have all the advantage in life to succeed.  When you know you are loved you can accomplish anything.

If I could change one thing it would be...that bad things would not happen to good people.  But I do understand it is part of the plan to make us more faithful and stronger but it is hard to witness sometimes.  One of my really good friends begins chemo this week after a double mastectomy.  Not  good.  But her attitude is remarkable and she will survive!

An enjoyable movie we have watched lately...Nothing great lately.  I have to really search some more for some good uplifting movies.

I am curious about...a lot of things and it can really derail me when I am at the computer with the largest library on earth at my finger tips.  Fun but can be a tool for procrastination. 

Plans for the rest of the week...tomorrow perhaps a trip to the city.  Saturday going to a friend's garage sale and then in the afternoon the General Relief Society broadcast and dinner.  Sunday church and genealogy meeting in the afternoon.  Monday start it all over again!
 
One of my favorite things...fresh salsa.  I made some this week and it is fabulous and free weight watcher food.  Yay! (Salsa not chips!)

Some photos I am sharing this week...a few photos from out dinner on Monday night.  I got a few things out for Halloween and some fall things knowing that it will be here before we know it and nothing like a party to inspire you to get a move on things.
 The kitchen window sill


These next three are the mantle in the dining room


The above pics are antiqued but the one below is natural



 The buffet top


The Place Settings

 I bedazzled this pumpkin to make 
it sparkle a little with candle light. 
Kind of a wild tablecloth, eh?
Not usually my style but fun 
for autumn and white dishes.
Below is in daylight.



The dinner was served buffet style, so easy!

It was a fun and casual evening and it was good to have our turn.  We do this once a month and take turns hosting so on your night you do everything, the dinner and the FHE lesson.  Then for the next four months you just come as a guest.  So nice really.  We gave the lesson on prayer and then discussed Sunset by Michael Wilcox.  I had gotten one for each of the couples as a Christmas present but decided it was just the perfect time to give the books to them...so I did.  This is why I cannot shop too early for Christmas.  I end up giving it to them in September or forgetting I bought it in the first place.  This for once is not an old age thing...I have always done it.  Live and learn does not seem to apply!  I cannot help it if I just love giving presents to special people.  :-)

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon


2 comments:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
So enjoyed reading your daybook.
Was so happy to hear that Robert is home safe and sound and so happy for his family, I know they must be beyond thrilled. Your dinner party sounds so nice. Your table was lovely as well as your decorations.
Love that wreath, would like to see the whole thing, very pretty, as well as all your potpourri in that glass container. Really liked it.

Was sorry to hear about your tooth issues, but so glad you are better now. Root canals, they sure can make you feel thankful once they are over! lol,
but that is a great point, sometimes we have to go thru the fire a bit to remember how great life really is..........
Love ya and miss you sweet friend,
Nellie

sistersusiesays said...

You make me think! I'll respond in shorter answers, ha!
OUTSIDE...it's dark and raining.
THANKFUL...RETIREMENT!
LEARNING...my prayers for Robert have been answered by GOD!
READING...Stanley's Bible cards.
KITCHEN...yellow rice &chicken.
Missing...two friends who have gone to be with the LORD.
SPIRITUAL...every breath is a gift.
HEARING...quiet, except for my fan.
PLEASURE...milkshakes.
PEEVE...rude outcries.
GOING...nowhere soon.
QUOTE..."Our Father who art in Heaven, Holy is Your Name."
CHANGE...Lucifer had never fallen, therfore neither would have Adam and Eve....nor we.
MOVIE...Long Road Home
CURIOUS...how fast time goes now.
PLANS...see previous plan listings.
I'm a creature of habit!
FAVOrite...SIL, Nellie!
Much shorter! Susan!