Friday, January 25, 2013

A Simple Woman's Daybook~January 25, 2013


Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.

Just for today~Saturday, January 12, 2013
 

Outside my window...It is 8:20 am and I have been working for a couple of hours already.  I just sat down and looked out the window.  It is overcast, breezy and 48.  Warm compared to the past few weeks.  Maybe the cold snap is over or at least that is the hope.  It looks like the high clouds may burn off in which case it will be sunny and lovely today.

I am thankful for...having completed this project for family history and a presentation I have done that was quite difficult for me.  It is a presentation I will give 10 times and so now that I have the mechanics under control and my PowerPoint done, I can get caught up on all the things that had to slide in the process.  I am a little nervous as my first two presentations are Sunday but I am thankful for the stretching opportunity it has been to get ready for it.  I do not run track ( I know that conjures up a ridiculous image to those of you that know me...hehe) but there are hurdles in life regardless.  I am running towards it now...I'll let you know if I clear the bar.
 
From the learning room...when the Lord calls us to do something he always prepares a way for us to accomplish it.  That faith is essential when you strive to do something new.  Replacing the fear with some faith in His constancy is the ticket for me.  I can do this, I can do this...with His help.

I am reading...Nothing for the sheer pleasure of it at the moment.  But that will change shortly.  I have a couple of new projects on the back burner but I plan to take a little break before getting into them.

From the kitchen...Oh, I bought a bunch of veggies and fruit that I need to get ready for the week.  Weight Watchers has this really cool thing going on with marketing concepts in the frig.  So we have tried it  and it is fun and effective.  And my hubby has been doing almost all of the cooking.  He loves to do it and who am I to argue with that?  Not stupid, that is for sure.  I am sure it will slow down when the weather is better and he can get back to his construction so I am enjoying it fully right now.


 
Prepare all your veggies for use in advance


Place all the nutritious food 
of high impact/low calories
right at eye level Brilliant!

Put other things like condiments you don't use
 often in the "Dead Vegetable" bins down below.
   
I am missing...our family.  It has been too long since we have been together so we are fixing that this next week.  The girls will soon arrive.  I am so excited I can hardly handle it.


Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...I have been continually amazed lately about how much the Lord is in the details of our lives.  It is so awesome.  Things continually happen and I am like...Wow, he really knows us up close and personally!   Such a wonderful thing to know for sure.

I am hearing...it is later in the afternoon now and the windows are wide open and it feels like spring.  I have just been breathing the air in and feeling so happy.  I am still putting things away from my once every two months trek to Walmart so no music playing yet.  I hear a piper cub overhead, a dog barking in the distance and my keyboard clicking away.  And I might add, at a speed that would make my old typing teacher from high school roll over in his grave.  He was positive I'd never actually get typing.  Now if he knew how many things I type in a week, he'd pat himself on the back...big time.  I think my problem with it was him.  He made me soooo nervous.  To this day I do not like to have someone stand over me and watch me type.

One of my guilty pleasures...being done with typing class and done with Walmart and just being right here right now enjoying a few minutes in the present.  Pushing all the cares away and just being.  Try it, it is fabulous!


Pet Peeves...birds that like to perch right over our clean car and front porch railing.  Argh!

I am going...To take a little nap very soon.  I have been up since 4:45 am today and on the run.  I am calling "Uncle" for now!


I am quoting...Pinterest:



If I could change one thing it would be...lack of heartaches for us all.  That no one would say and do things that hurt other people so much.  Of course it won't ever happen but it is a nice place to think about.  I think they call it heaven!  I think simple kindness and respect would change the way this world turns on its axis.

An enjoyable movie we have watched lately...Downton of course although not technically a "movie."  I didn't like the first two episodes this season) but the third one pulled me in.  The first two episodes everyone seemed miserable and crabby including the newlyweds.  Are you kidding me after waiting from June to January to see it happen?   Not even one episode of bliss?  Sheesh, I am such a Pollyanna!  I just want to watch happy, warm and fuzzy when I sit down to relax in the evenings and say good-bye to reality.  Funny thing is when I mentioned it to Jim he said he felt exactly the same way but wasn't going to say so!  Anybody else?  I venture to guess our opinion is not a popular one.  But we love, love, love it overall and as I said it redeemed itself substantially in episode 3.

I am curious about...what the girls and I will do once we are all together?  No kids, no Dads what on earth could this mean?  This could be a dangerous experiment!

Plans for the rest of the week...Do some last minute things tomorrow for my classes on Sunday. Sunday do the two classes and finish church, then I have a meeting in Oakland in the late afternoon and then a great opportunity to hear some words of inspiration from our Stake President  and his wife at a Stake Fireside for the women of the church.  Downton Abbey on Monday via PBS and more prep for Laura's arrival and her birthday.  It is going to be a fantastic week.  I am so looking forward to just relaxing and having fun with her.   I am sure the end of the week will include a trip to SF with Jim and Laura.  We're just going to shut the world out and enjoy this special time.

One of my favorite things...Getting old enough to actually realize how much of a blessing time with the kids really is.  Being able to savor it in the moment and not being so caught up in what happens next that I miss something.  I remember thinking that when I was sitting at her wedding reception 15 years ago.  It was our third reception in four months with all three of our children being married that year. Yes, you did read that right!  I remember just thinking this is the culmination of a year's worth of work on weddings.  This will never come again.  The event is happening right now, the time for preparation and details is over.  Just relax and be here, right now, enjoying what it is.  What a blessing that was and still is!  Being present in the present.  That is one of my favorite things!


A photo I am sharing this week...We had a fun dinner with friends this past week on Sunday.  Jim invited the people and did everything himself.  He decided as he was getting into it that he would do it with only what we had in the house.  No grocery shopping!  I was thinking to myself, now this should be interesting.  He knew I was buried in work so he told me not to worry and just come.  I said, "you're on" with a little trepidation in my voice I'm sure.  I was amazed, he did a great job.  I kept thinking he will run out of food for nine people.  Nope.  I need to just trust that food talks to him and he obeys.  He made Ravioli, an Italian fritatta, a green salad with the help of Phyllis, we had sour dough bread and some other things as well.   He served fresh fruit and salted chocolate caramels for dessert.  Perfecto!  It was pretty cool being a guest in my own house!



Patty and Jim and Phyllis and Terry


The Magic Dinner by The Pampering Chef!

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon


Photo at the top of the page
Musings of Life An Illustration by Erin
Depicting Jo March from Little Women!



You might also like:

2 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...Hey we are getting closer in the temps! We have 58 at 8:14 p.m!
THANKFUL...for the joys in life! It puts the pep in my step!
LEARNING...I have been learning to trust in Him for everything. As the old hymn says, "Trust and obey for there is no way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey!"
READING..."The Harbinger" by Jonathan Cohn. It relates the warning of GOD to Israel to turn back to Him in Isaiah 9:10 and how it perfectly parallel's the events occuring in America from 9/11 even unto today to turn back to GOD!
KITCHEN...I'm on the vegetable roast again! Your prep helps me out greatly!
MISSING...the longer days that are now getting longer, ha!
SPIRITUAL...How our amazing GOD knows everything about us that we don't even know about ourselves!
HEARING...the fan blowing as a State Farm commercial plays on t.v.
PLEASURES...cold mini snickers right out of the fridge.
PET PEEVE...mailmen that don't close your mailbox lid tight and it flaps open to the world!
GOING...went to my niece-in-law's baby shower today! Wow, all of the goodies she got for my grand-niece!
QUOTING..."Encouraging the young should never become old." Daily Bread.
CHANGE...that aches and pains didn't have to go along with growing older!
MOVIE..."The Odd Life of Timothy Green" A childless couple buries a box filled with wishes for their dream son. That night, a mysterious young boy arrives to fill their lives with joy.
CURIOUS...how I so anixiously await the longer days of spring and summer. What makes the longer days more enjoyable to me than the shorter days of winter?
WEEKLY PLANS...Church video taping of service, Gracie's grooming, Bible study, making birthday cards to send out to my friends in Bible class.
FAVORITE...eating out with my lady friends on wednesdays and Sundays.

What a great table of food!
Love to you and yours, Susan.

Marie Rayner said...

Loved your daybook as always Bonnie. I am so impressed with Jim's cooking abilities! He could teach Todd a lesson or two or three!! I despair of what he is going to do when I am at my mom's for those couple of months! But . . . as he says, he survived on his own for 15 years before I came along! How he's ever going to be able to drive though, that's a different story. He will surely miss his front seat back seat driver!! xxoo