Friday, February 15, 2013

Jelly Beans and Emotions

Well, I hope you all had a fabulous and loving Valentine's Day.  We did!  Back to the time with our girls.  On Sunday morning Laura woke up with a migraine that had started the night before. Sadly they are all too frequent for her.  So we stayed home and she rested and we never even got dressed  Sunday.  By the end of the day she was feeling lots better.  So we watched a movie we had been wanting to watch together for years.  It is called a Good Woman and is with Scarlett Johansson and Helen Hunt. It's kind of an oldie with a great message and beautiful scenery from the Amalfi Coast in Italy.   It was a familiar setting, not far from where Laura and Robert lived while there.


One of the things the girls and I have always loved doing is watching movies together.  Over the last 14 years of little ones to care for all day they would mostly drop into bed exhausted at the end of any days we spent together.  So we actually watched several movies while they were here and that was great fun.  Before Jen came we marathoned the entire 3rd Season of Downton Abbey.  Oh my, is all I can say for those of you that have not finished watching it yet.  Don't miss it if you love that period and time and excellent Masterpiece Theater offerings.  It doesn't get any better than Downton.


Lady Mary of Downton Abbey

Monday we had a myriad of things we wanted to do.  We set out for Travis Air Force Base to do some shopping.  That is always fun with great prices and we did pick up some wonderful items and groceries.  We wanted to prepare a great dinner for Jen when she arrived on Tuesday afternoon.  We were getting very excited about her arrival!    


Travis

After the base, we went to the Jelly Belly Factory to pick up some Jelly Bellies for Ross for his class presentation on  Ronald Reagan who was a big fan of Jelly Bellies and even had his own Red White and Blue signature Jelly Bellies.  Ross wanted some for his classmates so we got them for him.


The Crown Jewel of the day was going to see Les Miserables.  Absolutely the best movie out in ages.  I sure hope you get to see it if you haven't already.  Here is a little taste of it.  The original creators added another song that just may well be my favorite of all.  Here it is.  This is sung by Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean right after he has rescued little Cozette from the horrible Inn Keepers and taken her to raise as his own daughter.  It is called Suddenly



We have seen it on the stage three times but I think the new movie is even better.  It fills in the gaps in the story so beautifully and with such emotion on the faces of the performers that you cannot miss anything.  They were all superb. Their performances may not be as musically technically correct as on the stage but the raw emotion will touch even a heart of stone.  It was a great day indeed!  The best part...being with my sweet girl.  Suddenly...my heart was full.


3 comments:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
Sounds like a wonderful and sweet day with your Laura. Know you Jen, and Laura must have had a great time too.
Loved your Valentines post too.
Very sweet........Glad you have a good Valentines day, we did too.

Blessings my dear,
nellie
Will have to check into these movies.

sistersusiesays said...

I'm so glad Laura is feeling better. I have gotten onto Netflix. I watch about 2-3 a week.

Jelly Beans! My favorite are the cherry flavored!

I remember seeing the old movie of Les Miserables but it was with the Anthony Perkins, "Bates Motel" actor O-:

Is that Dakota Fanning in the movie! I just love her acting! She is a great little actress!
I'll have to see it.

Thanks for sharing, Susan

Marie Rayner said...

Les Mis was my favourite movie of all time! I can't wait for it to come out on dvd so I can watch it whenever I want! I haven't seen the one with Helen Hunt, but have seen all of Downtown. Have you watched the whole series yet? WOnder what you thought of the way it ended? Did they show the Christmas special where they went up to Scotland?? love to you now and always! xoxo