Thursday, August 8, 2013

When You Don't Feel You Measure Up

I read this article by Kristen Welsh this morning and I thought it would be good for all of us but particularly our grandkids in junior high and those entering high school this year in just a few weeks.  Enjoy!  And Believe It!



Aug 08, 2013 01:20 am | Kristen Welch

I don’t remember the first time I felt it.
It could have been in the third grade when I was the last one picked for the kickball team or when I met my first mean girl at 12. Or it might have been when I opened my mouth to sing like my musical brother and sister and discovered I was tone deaf.
Not being enough has sort of been a faithful companion in life…always there, reminding me of ways I didn’t fit in or belong. When I didn’t date much in high school or couldn’t get pregnant for the first five years of my marriage, I believed the ever-present words whispered in my ear.
When I walked into a room full of stylish, pretty women, and searched for a familiar face, I knew the words that would pop into my head.
I don’t remember the first time I didn’t measure up.
But I do remember the first time I stopped measuring.

3723712803_76fd2bd64d_b

To read the remainder of Kristen's post visit the incourage site here:

http://tinyurl.com/mbb5s9z


3 comments:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hello my dear,
How are you??
This was a wonderful post, so full of truth.........oh that comparison trap is just that a huge trap of discontentment. My mother also told me early in life that there would always be someone who was better off than me, could do more than me, or was more talented or pretty than me,
and then there would also be someone who was less of all those things than me, so not to spend my time comparing, cause someone also felt that I was more than or less than too.............
So good that God takes us just as we are and mold us into the person He wants us to be, cause He has the
resources we need to be all we can be in Him.........and what a great place that is to be.........

Miss you sweet friend,
Come up and see me....sometime!!
as Marilyn would say!! lol

Love and Blessings,
Nellie

Marie Rayner said...

Great article Bonnie! For most of my life I felt as if I didn't measure up, first by a mother who didn't want children and when she did have them, only wanted boys. I was a girl, so . . . you can guess how that went. Then by both parents once our brother was born. The sun rose and set on him. He was a boy, the one to carry on the family name and the youngest, and therefore more important than my sister and myself. Again not measuring up. Married twice, first to a gay . . . not measuring up. How can I compete with that? Then to a man who always made me feel like an outsider, always on the edges and never fitting in, never quite making the mark. As the child of an alcoholic it was his way of making himself feel more important I guess. He then transferred that to our kids, who still make me feel like I don't fit and don't matter. Thank goodness for the Gospel in my life and the loving husband I have not. The Gospel has shown me that not only do I measure up, but that I am special in a myriad of ways, ways that truly count and I belong. XXOO

sistersusiesays said...

I remember when I learned the lesson to not compare myself. I was in high school and my Sunday School teacher in Church shared that Christians are all the part of the Body of Christ. Not all can be the hand, foot, the mouth, etc. He has given to us individually our own part to do for Him Kingdom. What a "burden" that took off of me to not try "to be like" someone else! Thank you for the reminder! Love to you all, Susan