Friday, October 25, 2013

A Simple Woman's Daybook~October 25, 2013

Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.

Just for today~Friday, October 25, 2013
 
Outside my window...it is beautiful and clear and still and 2:10 pm.  I can hear the nails pounding outside and Jim and Dave and Ron are putting up the 22 tresses that will support the roof of Jim's workshop.  It is a little bit overkill but you know what?  He can build any kind of a palace out there he wants.  He has dreamed of a wood working shop since he was 17.  So outside my other window I see them, it looks like they are building an arc.  When it gets painted forest green it will be practically camouflaged.  I cannot see the barn at all from the house and this will have the same roof and finish.  So outside my windows all is well.
 
I am thankful for....the peace and quiet that will return to our home one of these days.  The project has had three phases and we are getting near the end of the third phases and three years.  He does a little here and a little there and always beside him, his best buddy David.  Who could ask for anything more?  I love their friendship.  When they are not working here they are helping someone else.  Never a dull moment for or with them.

From the learning room....I am learning how to do Swedish genealogy right now.  I am barely beginning!  It is so much harder in another language as you might imagine.  But once you get familiar with the cadre of vocabulary words specific to genealogy it gets easier.  I could never pronounce these words but they are beginning to share their secrets with me.  I didn't ever think I could find our family in Sweden and we have plenty but with the help of some highly qualified people I have picked up bits and pieces of four new generations.  All the people are there I just have to decipher the records, transcribe them and put them in our tree.  I say "just" like it is no big deal but it is hard.  The last man I put in was born in 1766.  He is a several greats grandfather of mine.  I am also attempting some work on two of Jim's lines.

I am reading...Swedish Records!  And genealogy blogs.  I need to get to my sweet friends on regular blogs soon.  Nellie, Susan and Marie, God Bless You!  You are always in my heart if not on my finger tips.
 

 From the kitchen...Date night so it means some healthy snacks and then later tonight popcorn with our movie.  No idea what I'll come up with for a movie but I always find something.

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...just how much I love being a Christian.  How much I love being a Latter-day Saint, how much our church culture has enhanced and filled our lives with wonderful friends, wholesome fun and good and worthy service activities.  But best of all the love of our Savior who helps us daily...no, hourly in all we do.

I am hearing...The sound track from Call the Midwife. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?"  A moldy Oldie.  The other question would be...why do we not think "we" are fools when we fall in love?  It is only "them!"

One of my guilty pleasures...afternoon riposo, just like the Italians.  They have good living down pat.  Two work periods in every day separated by a decent length of free time and rest to recapture your energy, spend time with your whole family when you are not exhausted from a ten hour day.  And then you begin in earnest again to finish the work of your day.  It is brilliant.  It is like 14 more productive and more meaningful days in your week.

Pet Peeves...I don't know why I have a hard time thinking of these when I do the Daybook.  I seem to run in them repeatedly through out the week.  Rude people is always a good standby.  We have run in a few this week.  Carol, you can relate!  The only thing that makes me madder than when people are rude to me is when they are rude to my family or friends.

I am quoting...Pinterest... 


Autumn just envelopes me with happiness.


If I could change one thing it would be...that special needs children could get a break from the so-called teachers and administrators that are supposed to be teaching them something good and worthwhile and administrating the programs for them.  There is no excuse for what Hazel is dealing with or her parents and grandparents for that matter.  Federals laws are being broken in a very cavalier way and it is not going unattended to by our great kids.  They will take this all the way and then hopefully help other parents of future kindergartners do the same.  Too many parents have rolled over and played dead for too long.  The buck stops here.  They be messin' with the wrong Mama Bear this time.
 
An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...We watched Moonstruck last week.  Ya know, Cher is a good actress.  She is also magnificent in Tea With Mussolini, I think we'll watch it tonight.  Beautiful if you haven't seen it. Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright...need I say more?

I am curious about...the fact that in exactly two months it will be Christmas Day!  Really?

Plans for the rest of the week...I have some projects to do including rotating out summer clothes and bringing in more fall items.  I always sort through and purge out things.  Then I want to do the same thing in my office.  I will be working, getting my hair done, visiting teaching, meeting with friends and doing family history. Stake Conference over the weekend the first November week.  But first  Halloween and the next day my mother-in-law's birthday!  She and I will be lunching out while Jim is away that day.  We should all be so spry when turning 87.  Hey the fun never ends over here.
 
One of my favorite things...Pinterest, always Pinterest.   It is where I go to think, rejuvenate, feel loveliness and count my blessings.  I need it every day.  It reminds me of the worthy things in life that overshadow everyday hassles and struggles.  Pinterest is packed with hope and good cheer.  It is my favorite social media since you can enjoy solitude while engaging in it. 

One thing that made me so happy this past week...Having one whole day to do absolutely anything I wanted to do.  I loved that.

The most surprising thing this past week...that it went by so quickly.  Being preoccupied with work that I love seems to do that to me.  There is never enough time.  Another reason why I love riposo.  It slows down your day.  It is not just for eating and sleeping but to reconnect with yourself, others and things that interest you.  Life must be three dimensional and colorful.  We must strive to attain it in the way that works best for us.  I like to work hard, play moderately and rest easy.  That requires planning and saying no to something that wants to relentlessly eat up all of your time.

Balance requires a proactive life of making choices that work best for you your spouse and the people you care about.  Balance puts in the color of your life.  Spinning out of control all the time robs us of our joy.  Been there, done that.  Never again.  I saw my former  boss the other day.  Reminded me of all these things and the happiness I feel in being free from all of that.

A photo in two versions I am sharing this week...this morning while walking by a bank I saw this beautiful leaf covered in the morning dew on the ground.  I kept walking, then stopped and went back to photograph it.  I am glad I did. 


It was actually white and so pretty.


This is the sepia version
 Love them both!

 
UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,
 BE HAPPY AND CARRY ON!

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon

1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

Sorry! My last response was too long!
OUTSIDE...Crisp, bright, clear autumn sky with a cold 58 degrees!
THANKFUL...for friends like you!
LEARNING...not to write long answers!
READING...your sweet words!
KITCHEN...I need to be in it more!
SPIRITUAL...YES! I love being a Christian too. I love my Christian & Missionary Alliance Church! JOY Jesus first, others second, yourself last!
HEARING... my fan. Even though it's in the 50's, I still like the air moving around me.
PLEASURE...I like the Spanish. They have a fiesta them siesta; fits me perfectly, lol!
PET PEEVE...Dolly needed to get out quickly, but not quick enough. So my pet peeved a little on the floor at the door!
QUOTING...I forgot what I wrote before!!!
CHANGE...This was the one that was too long!! I hope you can retrieve it!
MOVIE..."Stowaway" with Shirley Temple. What wonderful movies from the 1930's!
CURIOUS...I must be aging faster! The time is just flying by!
FAVORITE...to watch and listen to Ernie Haase & Signature Sound Quartet DVD! They really bring the joy to your soul!
HAPPY...Alice's chemo is over!
SURPRISING...Why my dog was constantly going to the edge of the fence. When I went to look, on the other side a turtle had dug a big deep slanted hole. I guess he knew cold was coming!
PHOTO... reminds of the streets of gold we will be walking on in heaven!
Love to you and yours, Susan