Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Simple Woman's Daybook~December 4, 2013


Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.

Just for today~Wednesday, December 4, 2013
 
Outside my window...it is mid-morning, still that time of day that seems a little magical and new, but the middle part of the day will be here soon.  And now with days so short it seems to fly by and before I know it, it will be dark.  We are normally very early risers but today we enjoyed the luxury of sleeping until 8:00 am.  That was nice.  Part of what prompted staying in bed was the temperature outside.  30 degrees.  That always makes pulling the covers up over your head seem quite inviting.  And then last night we worked at the Library until late.  Anyway it was lovely to not have to rush off anyplace until noon when I have my hair appointment.

I am thankful for....having all my Christmas decorations up and in place and now I feel like it can be a more relaxing holiday season.  I have only a few gifts yet to get and then I need to really get going on my annual cyber Christmas Card.  That is always a joy to do and so time consuming but I love it.

From the learning room....that human beings are magnificent creations of our Father in Heaven.  We are all so strong and yet fragile, so similar and yet entirely unique.  So complex in our thinking and so simple is our need to be loved and to feel capable.  People are just an interesting study and always full of surprises.

I am reading...a blog called Incourage Me.  It is written by a few women in rotation that often has such inspiring Christian posts.  Today I particularly enjoyed what was written.   It is quite short and worth the read.  It is about how we spend too much time critiquing ourselves which distracts us from the work we are called to do.   http://tinyurl.com/mskzo3y  

From the kitchen...all set this week.  Eating light on all days we are not going to a gathering of any sort for the Christmas season.  (Then watching it when we are.)  So salads, soup, things like that are on the menu this week.

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...I have been thinking about how important peace is to me.  The older I get the more I realize I need peace.  I don't like fighting, meanness or anything like that touching my life.  Not even when it involves someone else and I just overhear it.  When I am in a store and hear someone yelling at their tiny kids or anything like that I just want to go home to the peace. Love and peace at home are so important.  

I love the peace that Christmas brings and after many years I am finally learning how to pace myself and stretch things out so that they are fun and enjoyable and not just work and rushing and craziness.   

One year our family spent Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland. We forgot all of our traditional things and just did very little shopping and prepping and had the most wonderful, peaceful Christmas.  I'll never forget that year it was a real highlight in our lives. I am working towards a Christmas like that this year.  So far so good.  I am doing less of everything and more reflecting on what is most important.

I am hearing...The Piano Guys "O Come O Come Emmanuel." Positively beautiful.  They are simply amazing.  Their album A Family Christmas is superb!

One of my guilty pleasures...watching Christmas Movies.  My two favorites: One Special Night with James Garner and Julie Andrews and The Preacher's Wife with Denzel Washington and Whitney Houston.

Pet Peeves...We have a long driveway.  I hate it when men park in our driveway blocking me in when they are coming to visit Jim or work on something.  Or if they come over and they see my car is gone then they load up the drive way sometimes with two or three cars and I have to carry groceries or what ever a long way.  Especially when the stuff is heavy and my knees are killing me.  It is different when people are coming for dinner or are invited over for various reasons to visit us together and they know we are not going anywhere.  There should be an unspoken rule of courtesy that simply eliminates this driveway issue from the universe.  Ugh!

I am quoting...Pinterest


Last night we were sitting at work talking about people's stories.  One person told a rather chilling story about an ex-spouse.  It struck me that if that woman does not write her own story, this may be all that is left to remember about who she was someday.    It seemed like a very compelling reason to write your own history as Winston Churchill did.  And you might recognize that he is remembered favorably historically because he did, indeed, write it himself.  

If I could change one thing it would be...that the ailments of growing older were not so harsh!  I have had some real leg problems lately that have really curtailed my efficiency and my productivity on every level.  Jim has also had a lot of pain in his hip and knee.  Honestly between us we have no good legs right now with his presenting bad knee opposite the hip  that needs replacing. Heaven help these setback be temporary!  And help friends and family that are facing much worse problems than we are.  May God bless us all.

An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...I haven't been watching the big screen too much lately but a few lovely Christmas Movies and a Thanksgiving one as well.  All uplifting and heartwarming.


I am curious about...how people survive in contentious environments? Seriously, I hear some pretty hair raising stories about terrible things that people do within families etc. that make me wonder?  My friend and hairdresser told me an unbelievable story today about one of her crazy family members. Why do some people just live to torment others?  I am so thankful for the good family and friends we are blessed with in our lives.

Plans for the rest of the week...pay some bills, order some presents via Amazon, organize a couple of special events with friends and neighbors, prepare a lesson for next week, organize some genealogy finds and help a few friends with research, relax and enjoy life.  Going out with a few girlfriends in the morning Friday, date night, Saturday maybe the Swedish Christmas Festival in SF.  It is going to be a good week.

One of my favorite things...The finished product of Christmas decorations being exactly where I want them and the last empty box going back out into the shed. 
 
One thing that made me so happy this past week...See previous question.

The most surprising thing this past week...I finally met our new neighbors.  We really like them.  They have been traveling for about a month and have just returned home.  They invited us to dinner sometime soon.  Really nice people~we have been collecting their packages for awhile as they have been gone and today they came to get them.  We are getting a lot of really fun people in the neighborhood.  Makes me wantt to have a block party.

Some photos I am sharing this week...




May your Christmas Season be romantic
 And filled with love for your family and friends.


May it be full of fun, 
adventure and nostalgic memories!


May you capture some time to be
with your very favorite people. 
And if you can't, because circumstances 
won't allow it, keep the thoughts
 of them close to your heart.




May you just relax and just be together. 
 Forget the rest of it for a little while.


May your days and nights be full of 
the wonderment and excitement of a little child,
warm and cozy at home and filled with the 
knowledge that you are loved.


And most of all remember,
 Remember why we celebrate this 
time of year in the first place.
For there, and only there can the ultimate
peace and true rest from  
worries in this life be yours.


UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,

 Be Happy, Keep Your Balance and Enjoy Your Life!
Only One Rather Short One Per Person Allowed.

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon

1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

Hi, Bonnie!
OUTSIDE...dark at 5:30!
THANKFUL...that my insurance I was happy with was reinstated! It was to be cancelled by Jan. 1st due to Obama care.
LEARNING...especially to see the individuality of identical twins! I had the pleasure of this over the years of my teaching.
READING...Ken Ham's "The New Answers Book 1" a very supporting book of the Biblical truths concerning todays "scientific" explanations that are only theories and not truth based facts.
KITCHEN...I need a good cranberry Jell-O salad recipe.
SPIRITUAL...I love the peace I receive when I read GOD's WORD and contemplate the Holy Spirit's leading of it's truths.
HEARING...THE TV's Christmas music programs.
PLEASURE...movie: The Santa Clause.
PET PEEVE...To get to church soon enough to get "my" parking space, ha!
QUOTING..."There's no place like home for the holidays!"
MOVIE...The Santa Clause.
CURIOUS...How time seems to pass slowly when looking to the future, but seems to have rushed by when looking to the past!
PLANS...get togethers with different families and friends throughout the Christmas season.
FAVORITE...the beautiful Christmas bags opposed to wrapping. (I never was good at wrapping!)
HAPPY...that my BC/BS policy was reinstated from Obamas ACA having cancelled it.
SURPRISING...to see Nellie's 9 1/2 month old grand daughter crawling all over the place!
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Susan