Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Simple Woman's Daybook~January 11, 2014



Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.

Just for today~Saturday, January 11, 2014
 
Outside my window...It is 4:40 pm and the sun setting.  I am not in love with these very short days but they are on the upswing now, so that is good!  It has been overcast and still all day.  It was supposed to rain but didn't.  The weather forecast was for 30% chance of rain starting at 900 am.  That was a good motivator for us to get up in the dark and prepare for a day of working on organizing "my" own storage place.  Now that Jim is nearly done with the major construction on the shop he has storage all over the place.  So I have a little shed all to myself for my accessories and holiday things.  It is my little room with a past.  A room full of shelves and memories.  Jim still has some of his things in there but soon...it'll be for girls only!  I am pretty jazzed about it as we have a cottage and storage has always been in short supply.

I am thankful for....this little storage house of mine.  I could probably lay my hands on just about anything in there within a few minutes.  All Christmas is arranged by the room it lands in most years.  So next year..get the bin that goes in each room.  Take down the regular accessories and put up the Christmas stuff.  That could theoretically be done pretty fast.  Well, we'll see next year.  The take down should be even faster since all the regular stuff will be in the box for that room in the storage house and I can just switch them out.  The best part is I can bring them in and out one at a time if I want so we shouldn't have the big invasion of many boxes and that feeling that we are moving without going anywhere.  This is pure luxury to me because for 33 years it was all stored in the attic.  And not one of those pretty attics you see in the movies!  I love my hubby for making it all possible and so much better.  

From the learning room....there is always work to do, always ways you can improve your life and the way you do things.  There is always a better more efficient way and I love that.  When that happens you have more free time.  Free time to pursue your talents and interests.  That is something I truly cherish every day since I stopped working for someone else.  Once I had my own business it was a great freedom and being retired is even better.  

I think I work just as hard if not harder now but on my own terms.  I value that so much.  When you think about it the last time any of us had that was pre-kindergarten.  Since then we have all been on someone else's agenda most of the time.  Right?  

Well when you want to know what one of the greatest joys of the autumn of your life is, this is it.  But you have to guard it well because for most other people, when they hear that you are retired they think that equates to nothing to do and free as a bird and ready and willing to do everything they have in mind for you.  

I learned a valuable lesson in the oral surgery practice where I worked!  "Run your own schedule or it will run you."  That doesn't mean be selfish and stingy with your service.  What is means is serving as much or more than you ever have but with thoughtfulness for that balance that you want in your days so you have time for yourself and your husband.  

I am reading...I am about to download "The Book Thief" onto my Kindle but haven't just yet.  Been very busy with lots of other things for the past month or so.  Reading lots of genealogy things and preparing for a conference I'm going to in February.

From the kitchen...I wish I knew since it is nearly dinner time.   I don't know why I do this when I know it comes every blankety blank night.  Like my daughter Jennifer said.  "I cannot believe someone has not come up with something to eliminate about two meals a day.  Every time I turn around I am thinking about food, buying food, cooking food or cleaning up after food!"  I couldn't agree more.

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...Just how the older I get the more I see The Lord's hand in everything around me.  The gospel is becoming sweeter and sweeter to me all the time.  The Savior is such a refuge and strength as we traverse through this life.  Seeking and listening to the spirit is the key for me.  I am finally getting better at it.  A big part of that is allowing myself time to pursue it.

I am hearing...She's Out Of My Life by Michael Jackson.  This may be the only Michael Jackson song I have on my play lists.  I do like it.

One of my guilty pleasures...Downton Abbey! Oh my heck, I am so glad it is back on.  Last week we went to our friend, Barbara's house for a Downton party.  She prepared a very yummy dinner and and even made an English trifle for dessert.  Then we sat around in her cozy family room and drank it in!  Season 4 is off to a great start. 

Pet Peeves...being out of stamps when I have one letter to mail.  I think I'll remember to get some every time I go to the grocery store or bank and then come home without them.  Time to order online and quit trusting my memory for something I rarely use anymore.

I am quoting...Pinterest




If I could change one thing it would be...that Craig and Shonda Hayes' baby boy, Amos, did not die at 3 days old this week.  Beautiful little boy whose heart just stopped beating.  Very sad for them and the two "big" little sisters.  Reminds me so much of our friends, the Chapmans who also lost an infant son last spring and he had two "big" little sisters.

An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...Downton, one track mind over here.

I am curious about...why I had even the slightest fantasy that 2014 was going to calm down and be less hectic than 2013.  Joke.  I am already behind and it's January 11th! 

Plans for the rest of the week...Church tomorrow for one hour only.  Then working on Family History all day.  Woohoo! I haven't really gotten past tomorrow.  Not sure but it will be busy as our son is coming for overnight for a meeting in the Bay Area so we'll have to plan something fun for that night.  Hair appointment and hopeful a manicure one day are in the plans. Working Tuesday.  Just the usuals really.

One of my favorite things...finishing a project like we did today!  So nice to have everything back in order.  Now on to the good deeper cleaning in the next week.
 
One thing that made me so happy this past week...Definitely deciding to go to the largest genealogy conference in the US.  Rootstech and being able to combine it with a trip to help decorate Jen and Lowell's house.  Lucky for me...both are in SLC and both the same week.  And both our girls are coming for an RandR and we are going to have a girl party very soon!

The most surprising thing this past week...I had three pain free days!  It was fabulous.  It is amazing when your legs work the way they are supposed to and don't hurt.  I got so much done.


A photo I am sharing this week...This is Hazie going for a little spin on the snow.  This picture brings me such joy. Seeing how she is moving without help and the sense of freedom is tangible on her face is beyond description.


For those of you that do not not know, Hazel, our youngest grandchild, was born with a severe case of Spina Bifada.   She does not have use of her legs but as you can see for the most part that doesn't stop her.  She started kindergarten this year and this child is an inspiration to all who know her.   She is the happiest, sweetest, smartest little angel and we love her so much.  Just sharing the joy...!

UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,

 Be Happy, Keep Your Balance and Enjoy Your Life!
Only One Rather Short One Per Person Allowed.

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon

1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...finally sunshine and bright skies. I can tell the days already are getting longer!
THANKFUL...for the bright blue skies and the light of day! I can only imagine what it will be like to be in the pure Light of GOD's glory! Amen!
LEARNING...Does more efficient ways still have you pursuing even more efficient ways, ha! Retirement has made me more able to get into the LORD's WORD more than I ever have before! What joy it brings! My blog, this year, has me sharing each month, one of the Fruits of the Spirit, which has started with JOY in the LORD!
READING...Joyce Meyers "Power Thoughts devotional as just one of my studies. The Bible is always first. It's amazing how what I'm reading from the Bible matches those of JM devotional!
KITCHEN...and have you noticed the increase in the prices of food!!! Some days I have up to $60 or $70 and I haven't even bought any meats!
SPIRITUAL...that is our goal in this life, to draw ever so closer to our Savior GOD. Though we have family, friends, tasks, and responsibilities, the LORD is to be put first in anything we do!
HEARING...my heater just coming on! Yes, in Florida we do use heaters, ha!
PLEASURES...sounds like the soap operas I used to watch! They can really become habit forming, lol!
PET PEEVE...To always buy a roll of stamps and not just a book!
CHANGE...Praise GOD for the change that is coming one day when there will be no more death, sorrow, or pain!
MOVIE...I'm still in the "soap opera" mode with Flashpoint. I have three more discs before I've seen them all.
CURIOUS...about Aprils' alignment of the planets in our solar system.
PLANS...taking my "sister" friend for radiation treatments this week.
FAVORITE...cleaning! yuk!
HAPPY...our ladies Bible study group at church started again! It had been on "vacation" for the holidays.
SURPRISING...mine was right the opposite! I guess it was
the "cold" that got my knee "froze up" on me again! It didn't want to bend, yeow!
PICTURE...so inspiring! It's amazing what strength we can receive in one so joyful!
LOVE to you and yours, Susan