Monday, March 10, 2014

A Simple Woman's Daybook~March 10, 2014

Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.

Just for today~Monday, March 10, 2014
 
Outside my window...It is a beautiful bright blue sky this afternoon. A little chilly in the house but not outside.  It has been in the 70's with intermittent heavy rains the last few weeks.  The hills around us look stunningly gorgeous! 



Pure heaven!

 It is wonderful considering it didn't look that likely until just recently.  We've gotten quite a bit of rain in the past month.   Somehow the Lord always provides what we need.  I am grateful. 

We still need more water but we are so happy for what we have been given.  We love that the lime green moss is growing all around here now, even on our roof.  It is so pretty.


Mossy

I am thankful for....the sunshine.  I do not do well when it is gloomy out.  But today that is not a problem at all.  I am grateful for a day off...self-proclaimed.  I seem to have been a big emotional roller coaster rider lately and that indicted to me that it was time to just slow down the pace and regroup.  I have learned to do this out of complete necessity when I get overwhelmed. Too many things going on that affect loved ones and me because I attach all the stresses to myself like a barnacle.  

From the learning room...no one cares if I take a day off or not.  The stress that I impose upon myself is the culprit. Isn't that true of most of us?  No one would ever say to you..."No!  You are not ever entitled to rest or time to yourself.  The world cannot keep turning without you!"  Of course it does.  People will manage and you will be healthier. 

Just like in an airplane you have to put your own oxygen on first or how can you truly help another?  

It is not selfish, it is essential to a happy life for all involved.  I have such a testimony of this because I use to live the other way everyday of my life...no exceptions unless illness put me flat on my back.  Not anymore.  I just cannot do it and more importantly, I don't want to anymore.

I am reading...lots of wonderful things and some books too. So many wonderful ways to spend our time.  I love having choices.  I am still on The Book Thief but have kind of slowed down because as I mentioned last time I want to read it aloud to Jim while he is recouping after surgery in a couple months. But the movie is coming out tomorrow and I am thrilled about that.  I am reading lots of words of wisdom from various places and people.  I read all day long in between other work.


From the kitchen...oh yeah, that again.  Tacos tonight and then on Wednesday I am making a big pot of spaghetti sauce to use as a base for a couple of nights company this coming week.  And I might even cook corned beef and cabbage this week.  I already bought it and am ready to go on that.


Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...when I get to feeling down I need to concentrate on my gratitude.  I read my blog posts a lot as they remind me what a wonderful life I am living, how many fun things we do and how wonderful the people I love are both here and who live away.   And above all how generous the Lord has been with us all the days of our lives.

If I immerse myself in His word and our blessings there is no way to be miserable about anything.  It is the best medicine. That and laying any burdens down at His feet in faith.

I am hearing...Your Are The Sunshine of My Life.  One of my all time favorite songs by Stevie Wonder.


One of my guilty pleasures...Hibernating..I am doing it today as you know and I love it and I do not feel guilty at all actually!

Pet Peeves...I cannot even think of such things on such a beautiful happy day!

I am quoting...Pinterest...


If I could change one thing it would be...that they were not still looking for that lost airliner near Viet Nam.  Such a tragedy and so perplexing and sad for the families of those lost.  

An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...still on Downton.  Jim is enjoying it and that makes me happy as he has been in a lot of pain and it is a distraction for him. We just learned our son and family will be going to England for a year on Sabbatical leave from the University so that makes England more fun than ever to think about.  Marie, if you are reading this they will be 68 miles from you!  Coming for a visit my friend is looking more plausible everyday.  May get to Wales sooner than we had planned.

I am curious about...what the next few months will bring.  I am so eager for Jim to have his surgery so he can feel good again.

Plans for the rest of the week...work tomorrow, Wednesday cook and have the missionaries for dinner, Thursday car in the shop so another home day, Friday writing, family history and organizing and planning a new class I'm teaching,  Then probably a little cleaning of the house.  Not sure about most of the weekend yet.
  
One of my favorite things...the beauty that is all around us when we stop long enough to notice and appreciate it.  Becoming aware of it and enjoying it more...that is one of my all time favorite things.  And letting it overshadow the not so beautiful things around us and letting it bring us comfort and peace in a mixed up, backwards world on so many levels.  The thing that makes this a favorite thing for me is this is how discouragement is conquered.

One thing that made me so happy this past week...chatting via email with two friends that live far away. Sharing pictures of grandkids and fun things with one. The other is a friend from years ago that has been active in genealogy unbeknownst to me. We are surely going to chat more in the future.  I hope we can work together and learn together.  Love you, Gina!

The most surprising thing this past week...getting to make a trip to San Francisco and having a fabulous picnic with our dear friends, Tim and Margo and their new first baby, just two months old, and Tim's parents.  It was a gorgeous warm day and we had a blast.  I'll have to download our photos before finishing this and include a couple below!

The part I loved in addition to the fun we had was Jim and I committed to doing a day trip every other Thursday in an attempt to get our lives back.  So be forewarned...Jim and Bon are not available on the first and third Thursday from henceforth.  We have made a commitment to spending more quality time together. Well, it sounds good on paper anyway...we'll see what happens.  ;-)

Photos I am sharing this week...




This is from Inspiration Point near the Presidio  

There is a lovely cement and slate decking here where we sat and ate and talked for about two and a half hours.  Jim prepared an amazing picnic brought a little table and we had benches and chairs. It was heavenly up there. The dome is the Palace of Fine Arts erected for the World's Fair in the early 1900's.  It is gorgeous from every vantage point.  We were looking across the Bay at Alcatraz and then Oakland beyond.  The fog eventually cleared up and it was so pretty.


We went home via Marin County so this is the 
Golden Gate Bridge from the North side 
at dusk during the commute.

The lighting was interesting at this time of day with
the fog rolling back in from the ocean.

UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,
 BE HAPPY AND CARRY ON!

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon

2 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

OUTSIDE...Bright Spring morning! Deep blue sky! Birds going bonkers building their nests!
THANKFUL...to the LORD for the healing of my hand!
LEARNING...Good for you! Perseverance doesn't mean us putting our person into severe situations! I have to think more before I do, ha!
READING...the listings of movies on Netflix!
KITCHEN...beef stroganoff!
SPIRITUAL...Praising my LORD GOD that He has our lives in His hands! (Matt. 10:28, Luke 12:5)
HEARING...Cross TV Word Pictures (GOD's Calling)
PLEASURES...going out to eat!
PET PEEVE...my pet is peeving me now to go out! Be back in a minute!
CHANGE...to when life was more simple.
MOVIE...looking forward to "Life of Pi" from Netflix.
CURIOUS...same here with my neighbor that is going in for his 3rd ankle surgery.
PLANS...sleep, sleep, sleep (like the old Sominex commercial, ha!)
FAVORITE...being out in the sunshine with my dogs roaming the yard!
HAPPY...being with the family to celebrate Jim's birthday!
SURPRISING...(Forgot my truck's appt. for an oil change!)
I love your pictures that shows the continuing distance in the backgrounds!
Bless you and Jim's committed days!
Love to you all, Susan

Marie Rayner said...

Bonnie, I just read through the whole Daybook, and had so much I was going to comment on, but then I got to the part about your son and his family going to England for a year and about them being 68 miles from us and about you coming over and I forgot everything I wanted to say! I am just over the moon that we will most likely, absolutely, POSITIVELY MUST HAPPEN, finally get to meet in person!! You must plan on spending at least a couple of days with us! Happy happy Joy Joy! Seriously doing the happy dance here. I can't wait!

I must read the Book Thief. I think I have it on my kindle somewhere. I will have to go through. I haven't been able to figure out how to archive things on it yet, so all the books I have read are still showing, which is a bit of a pain. Old dog/new tricks. I need to adopt a young person.

Love you loads. I will now be walking on a cloud the rest of today. xxoo