Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Simple Woman's Daybook~April 13, 2014

Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.

Just for today~Sunday, April 13, 2014 
Outside my window...Everything is perfect.  The trees are just so pretty with the new growth in that lighter green shade, the ivy has gotten such a boost from recent rains and spring has sprung.  My pink hydrangea is blooming out into this magnificent sight and I feel happy.  The breeze is rustling the American Flag and birds are flitting about singing their praises to the Lord for this beautiful day.

I am thankful for.... Jim recovering a little more each day from his hip replacement surgery of 16 days ago.  I am thankful for the things like this that teach us about ourselves and others.  The compassion we gain when we walk in the shoes of others that have gone through much worse and we barely noticed in our busyness.  These kinds of things open our eyes in good ways.  They teach us to pay more attention, to minister more to the one. To remember that there is a difference between being religious and doing our duties and doing what Christ himself would do.  As I drove up the street this morning on my way home from church I was thinking of my neighbor who had recently had a knee surgery and has had difficulty in his recovery.  I felt remorseful that I hadn't done anything for him at all.  Just then he came out of his house.  I stopped the car and went running over to him.  I apologized for my thoughtlessness and gave him a giant hug.

From the learning room....We cannot get complacent and think that everyone is just fine.  We have to be guided by the spirit to know what is behind their eyes and their smile when we ask them, "How are you doing?" And get that response so commonly heard, "Fine!"  It's not necessary true.  I think too often we take that as a signal that we are off the hook, they don't need any help.  After spending two plus weeks in the house day and night I have a new appreciation for those that are shut-in because of illness and other circumstances and I want to reach out more.  Just a visit or a phone call of a little note can be so cheering.

I am reading...about Wales, the home of my great-grandparents on my mom's side.  I had a major breakthrough and discovered some very wonderful things about them.  I know quite a bit about my these ancestors now where before I only had my great grandfather's name.   Now I know where they were each born and about their siblings and parents.  This has brought a lot of joy to my heart and also opened up all kinds of possibilities to do research in Wales.  I learned a little bit about the Welsh language.  Holy Smokes...very difficult indeed.  It took me two days to translate his obituary but what a wealth of information was gleaned. I am thankful for how it all happened.

From the kitchen...Getting back into the swing of it after a couple weeks of pretty bland things.  He knew what was best for him and that is what we did. We made tacos last night and that was a pleasant step away from soup, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...I have been thinking about how much I love the hymns of the church as I have gotten older.  They are so poetic and teach so much and bring comfort and peace as well.  Spiritual music has so much power to uplift and bring us joy.  Music has the capacity to touch us in its own special way like nothing else.

I am hearing...Quiet music and a silence that is only heard around here when my patient is sleeping comfortably and getting well.  I love Sundays and how they just give us a fresh start on the week and a chance to do better.

One of my pleasures...The flowers of spring, the way the earth just looks new at this time of year.  Especially after a spring shower when the sun comes out and everything looks sparkling clean.  I adore the lush green of all the hills that surround our home.  The air is fresh and the coolness of the temperature is something I appreciate before it turns into the hotness of summer.  I also love that the days are getting longer.  I realize more than I ever knew how important my visual surroundings seem to be for my ultimate well-being.

Pet Peeves...Connectivity issues with the service you use when you really need your computer.  I am getting ready to teach two classes this coming week and this is no time to have a new service that cannot get it right.  They are coming out here again tomorrow for the tenth time in a month.


I am quoting...Pinterest. 




If I could change one thing it would be...That Jim could just be well again soon.  And not just him but the many others who are struggling now with illnesses and other difficult challenges.  I think he had completely set himself up to succeed in not rushing it, but what he did not realize was that he would not be able to find a comfortable position so that he could at least do quiet work on the computer, watch a movie, etc.  What I would change is that he would just not have the pain constantly.  It has been too long now, since he was in pain for a year before the surgery even occurred,  and with other arthritis issues long before that.  But he is just so gritty and couageous.  He just handles it so well and keeps going.  I have a  lot of respect for that.

An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...We have started watching Sherlock.  Jim likes it a lot.  I find it interesting but a little too dark for my taste.  Anything (within reason) that he likes right now is fine by me.  Day by day he is better.  Yay!

I am curious about...whether we will be able to go to a family reunion in Washington state by the end of May?  We are sure hoping so.

Plans for the rest of the week...Today I am going to listen again to a few of the conference talks from last week's Semi-Annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found at http://lds.org.  Tomorrow we are going to his first post operative visit and staples will come out, etc.  I'm hoping to go out in the morning to see some of my friends before the appointment around noon.  I find I can be gone for short periods when he is resting now.  The rest of the week will just be more recovery time.  I am teaching next Saturday morning if all goes well.  And hopefully next Sunday, Easter...we can go to Jim's mom's for dinner.  He is still weeks out from being able to go to church it seems now. But he may surprise us on that if he can sit more comfortably.
  
One of my favorite things...Jim's best friend, Dave.  He has been a wonderful support along with Lee to both of us but especially to his buddy.  

One thing that made me so happy this past week..my cousin Bob and his wife, Beth came here from Davis and brought a picnic dinner for us all to share in the backyard.  It was so delightful and so thoughtful of them.  We had a great time and it was so pretty outside.  It felt like visions of day ahead when we can eat outside a lot and enjoy time with family and friends.

The most surprising thing this past week...how much we have been missing our friends at work.   Carol and everyone from the Tuesday shifts at the Center, including our regular patrons.  They are truly a delightful group of people.  And I have to add another...Finding success in working on Welsh translation.  That was really a shock as much as a surprise.

Some photos I am sharing this week...



Antelope Valley in Southern CA
The Poppy fields!
This is definitely on our 2015 Bucket List


This is a little corner of our backyard
The other afternoon when 
Bob and Beth came to visit us.
Just before dusk when the sun 
comes through the trees at a perfect angle.


UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,
 BE HAPPY AND CARRY ON!

❤♡♥♡❤♡♥♡❤♡♥s, Bon

1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

WHERE WAS I? I didn't realize I had missed this post! I can only respond to yours and not mine since I can't remember the details of that day, lol!
OUTSIDE...I don't have ivy, but I do have that annoying vine that takes over everything! One of my column posts to the entry of my property is completely grown over!
THANKFUL...It must have been a down time that could only be spent with the LORD! One Day we will no longer have the pains of this fallen world.
LEARNING...how happy it makes the ladies in my Bible study when I send them a birthday card.
READING...let's see, I believe I was in the Book of I Samuel.
KITCHEN...who knows, I think it may nave been left overs from Jim and Nellies (hmmm good!)
SPIRITUAL...the Holy Spirit just overflows in me when I am among His believers and our praise in singing!
HEARING...I know I had my fan going, ha!
PLEASURES...My Easter lilies were all in full bloom! Only one is left now.
PET PEEVES...mine is running slow. There's probably a bunch of junk I need to go in and clean out!
CHANGE...that we wouldn't have to experience pain.
MOVIE...I watched a DVD, but Can't remember it's title now (another thing I would change if I could, forgetfulness!)
CURIOUS...I hope so!!!
PLANS...I checked my calendar and I had a facial, hair done, video taped our ladies spring tea.
FAVORITE...family and friends!
HAPPY...Smiles on your faces, sitting in your places, and no food wasted!
SURPRISE...Same here. It will be 3 years June since I retired from work.
PICTURES...How bright and beautiful the orange flowers are! From orange to deep green! How pretty the LORD has made the vegetation of the earth!
Love to you all, Susan