Saturday, September 6, 2014

A Simple Woman's Daybook~September 6, 2014

Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.


Just for today~Saturday, September 6, 2014 
Outside my window...It is a beautiful September morning, bright and sunny and our American Flag is blowing gently in the breeze.  I think it is going to be a good day.  At least that is the plan.  Jim is finishing up the detailing on the outside of his new workshop and preparing for the final inspection.  I'll be going to the farmer's market shortly and then home to do some work on a syllabus for an upcoming conference. Then I may go into Oakland for a class at 1:00...still thinking about that. So that is the plan...come what may.

I am thankful for....All the good things in this life and even for the not so good things that remind me of what is most important in our lives and how our foundation in Christ makes even the challenging things better. 

From the learning room...I believe it was Einstein that once said, "If you think everyone has the same heart you do, you will have a lot of sadness in your life."  I think there is a lot of truth in this.  Our expectations of others is often a stumbling block to our joy.  The trick is to be yourself, make personal progress, and do the best things you can in your own life.  Others do the same.  Maturity of your emotional state comes when you can accept the things that are not your responsibility to change.  The way you act and choose for yourself is your responsibility, as well as how your treat and serve others regardless of their choices.

The first kind of trauma and drama arises in your own life because of your choices-repent and choose a new course of action.   The second kind  is when someone causes trauma, offends or hurts you deeply.  You have a choice to make. In faith forgive them and love them as Christ would. Or let your bitterness destroy you.  Let the good principles you have learned of that are tried and true be your guide.  Recognize that these types of things nearly always come about by lack of understanding.  Seek first to understand, then to be understood as Stephen Covey says. The last thing is to recognize that the healing takes time and work and prayer and a desire to have it by asking God for it. That is the big thing..it cannot be rushed.  Keep patience in the process.


The third type of trauma and drama is caused by natural or personal disasters of some kind.  They are not your fault but nonetheless they affect you.  These types of things require extreme faith in the Lord and a working together with many others to repair the damages.  The silver lining in those types of things is nearly always that man's good nature surfaces to work together to serve one another and the healing begins.  Events like 9/11 and Katrina usually result in people having a renewed feeling of faith and gratitude for a time.  They feel a keener sense of their blessings until complancey rears its ugly head again.  9/11 was a perfect example of that unity that can come from disasters if only for a short while.  


I am reading...The Agony and the Ecstasy.  I have been wanting to read it for a long time.  Stephen admonished me to do so.  It is so delightful to read after time spent in Italy a few years ago.  Who does not want to know more about Michelangelo? 

From the kitchen...Just had the missionaries over for dinner.  I made beef stroganoff.  It was the best batch I've ever made for one simple reason.  I have used every cut of beef imaginable and the meat always gets tough.  Well I saw a blog that had the recipe made with cube steak and it was Perfecto!  Simply a brilliant idea and so I thought I'd pass it along.

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...Stay close to the Lord and his word all the time.  Add oil to your spiritual lamp daily.

I am hearing...the washer and dryer..I need to turn on some music.  I feel like Lennon and Maisy this morning.   

One of my pleasures...time with good friends.  I love lunches out where there is a quiet environment and you can just relax and be together.  Without interruptions.  Carol and I went out yesterday and it was a real shot in the arm for me.  Surrounding myself with good people is the best.  There are so many spectacularly wonderful people out there, choose them.  And Carol is one of my all time favorites.  Thanks, dear friend, for a wonderful day.  Happy Anniversary today and Happy Birthday next week!

Pet Peeves...Hassles and interruptions.  I just like peace.  I guess that is not to be had in this life just yet.  Patience and Perseverance  are virtues I am working on.  That and praying and working  for it.

I am quoting...Pinterest




I just love the the quotes and inspiration I find on Pinterest.  There is a whole lot of good and uplift on that site.

If I could change one thing it would be...more time to do everything I want to do.  I sometimes get so frustrated with all the things I want to learn and master.  The Internet frustrates me in that way. I know the answers to all my technical questions can be found there.  It is finding the time for it that gets to me.

An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...Foyle's War.  My new passion..Michael Kitchen. He has the most compassionate expressive face and I adore Honeysuckle Weeks.  She is so cute.  I just love British production quality and their character development.  Makes Hollywood seem so flat.

I am curious about...People.  What makes them who they are and how they tick is fascinating.

Plans for the rest of the week...Work, clean, study and go to a few doctor appointments. Pretty ho-hum isn't it?  Lots of genealogy...that is the fun part. Teaching a class on Sunday, Tuesday and helping someone privately on Wednesday.  I might drag out some fall decor.  It's time isn't it?  I'll start by changing my blog banner here.

One of my favorite things...writing. That is why I am trying to get back to blogging again.  It is so important to my health and well-being. I have been struggling with motivation to do it lately.  

One thing that made me so happy this past week...that I got so many responses to my starting a new private blog and people were interested.  Sometimes it is very hard to devote so much time to something when you get little feedback.  Thank you to Susie, Nellie and Marie.  I was shocked that so many friends wanted to read it.  I usually find most of my visitors are channeling in from all over the world.  I never know who they are...it is bizarre.  I think Blogger should add a "like" button or an "dislike" button at least so bloggers could know anyone was there at all.  

The most surprising thing this past week...I decided after deliberating for more than a month that I will keep this blog as is.  Not changing it so as to restrict uninvited people.  The reason is that it is such a hassle for the readers having to sign in each time.  I don't even like those blogs that require you to copy down some mumbo jumbo in a box to show you are not a spammer.  So I am not changing to Private after all.  I have nothing to hide.  That is my theory...Live a good life and write your story.  It's all good.  And I like the fact that a blog is owned by its author.  So my rules, my story.  It is a kind of freedom found in few other places when you think about it.  People who are the same will gravitate towards it and the others will find a different path.  I'm good with that.

A photo I am sharing this week...




Chris and Missy and family enjoying their new digs in England with a visit to London. West Minster Abbey!  They are having quite the adventure.  Trip brewing for us in spring /early summer 2015.  It has been awhile since we have been over...looking forward to it very much.  This is one good family!  Cannot wait to see them there.


UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,
 BE HAPPY AND CARRY ON!

4 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

I am so happy to see your "Simple Woman's Daybook!" Thank you, Bonnie, for continuing this blog. I know you have others (probably many, ha!)
OUTSIDE...(You are a very busy lady!) We are having rain right now. I'm glad. My grass was getting some brown areas!
THANKFUL...That you are continuing your Designing Woman blog! GOD is so good all the time. Christ reminds me of this when the "not so good things" do arise.
LEARNING...How true your words are in remembering Christ's Words, "The first commandment - Love GOD with all your heart, soul, body, and mind. The 2nd, love your neighbor as yourself."
READING...GOD's Moments for Women. It's a daily devotional I have added it to my daily Bible list.
KITCHEN...Nellie gave me some of her delicious pasta salad. I have also combined potatoes and eggs for an egg/potato salad combo!
SPIRITUAL...Yes! I have been working on thanking the LORD as many times as I can bring to memory throughout the day!
HEARING...pit pat of the rain.
PLEASURE...My fall Ladies' Bible Study group is starting up again this Wednesday!
PET PEEVE...For me to work as hard as I can to always act and react with the love of Christ.
CHANGE...that my computer would never have a problem of running SLOW!
MOVIE...Hotel for Dogs. A really good movie with dogs and kids!
CURIOUS...You probably like to read biographies!
PLANS...Worship tomorrow, Gracie to groomers and vet Monday, Brunch with my long time friend Tuesday, Ladies Bible Study Wednesday, mowing 2 acres Thursday, Hair done Friday! Busy week
FAVORITE...doing my blog this year on the Fruit of the Spirit. I think next year I will do the Beatitudes.
HAPPY...so happy to know you are continuing your blog!!! I have so enjoyed reading it, being inspired by it, and loving our LORD together by it! Hopefully those reading it that may not be invited will learn life's lessons from your witness.
SURPRISING...Dead truck battery! My brother, Jim helped me out with charging it! Got it going and went right to the Nissan dealer to get a new battery!
Thank you, Bonnie, for keeping your blog going. What a blessing I have gotten today (not to mention all of the other days!)
Your friend always, Susie

girlsmama said...

So glad you are here! I love reading your blog. Knowing two of your children and their families it is a great way to keep up on old friends!

Bonnie said...

Jess and Susie, thank you for commenting and for your kind words. It is so nice to see you on here and if but one person were to benefit I'd continue on. Bless your hearts, both of you!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Bonnie,
I too, am happy we will get to continue
reading your blog, as we would miss you otherwise.
I always enjoy reading your simple womans daybook when I get the chance.
Funny you mentioned beef stroganoff, I
just got the stuff to make it for din din tomorrow night, but I just got lean beef, if you cook it along time
it tend to get more tender. Will haveto try the cube steak next time,
interesting idea!
Lovely photo of Chris and the family in front of Westminister abbey.

Love that quote from pinterest, and I think it is very true as well.

Have a good evening hon, off to watch our pastors and have some leftovers from cracker barrel. lol

Love and Blessings Galore,
Nellie