Friday, October 24, 2014

A Simple Woman's Daybook~October 24, 2014


Our lives pass swiftly by! I want to do something to remember
the everyday moments and my thoughts about them.  
That is what this Daybook is all about.
Focusing on the little things that become my life.
One entry at a time.


Just for today~Friday, October 24, 2014 
Outside my window...It is 11:35 AM and the sun is right overhead. Leaves are drifting down from the trees that are looking a little more naked since my last daybook.  We have just the right combination of pines and redwoods that are evergreen and those like the oaks and sycamores and magnolias that aren't.  After 36 years in this house I am officially declaring autumn to be the most beautiful time here.  The walnut trees are just brilliantly yellow right now.  So pretty.  And I so enjoy having windows on both sides of the room so I can see out to the front and the back.  These are the little things that bring a smile to my face this morning.  I seem to be reluctant to switch from sandals to regular shoes and socks but it is chilly in the house today.  Summer is over.  I just went and got my socks...better already.

I am thankful for....Relationships with good people.  Both family and friends and especially for the ones that are both.  Best friends that are like family and family that are like best friends.  There is nothing better, is there? 

In fact without them one could get a rather jaded view of humanity.  I don't know about where you live, but I see an awful lot of nasty people when I am out and about.  Just so crabby and verbally abusive to others and it is annoying.  Especially on the road but it is becoming more prevalent in the businesses, etc. too.  The older I get the less tolerant I am of that kind of thing.  Kindness is so lovely.  Why choose the other.  It just boggles the mind really.  So I am grateful for good people!




From the learning room...that I love writing so much. The little poem I wrote that is in the post below this was just so much fun to do.  I enjoy that digging deep to figure out why I am feeling a certain way.  I can ponder it all day but once I start writing it just gets formulated into something tangible right away and it's so therapeutic.  

I am reading...the 2 amazing family trees put up by my cousin on ancestry.com.  He is amazingly kind.  We have the best cousins. I must have six new cousins in the past couple of years.  People I'd have never known without genealogy. 

From the kitchen...about to go make lunch and then get back to this.  Our pantry and refrigerator have turned into very healthy places.  Junk is all gone, lots of fresh and wholesome foods to choose each day.  I not only feel better but am shrinking little by little.  It is the best way to go.  Controlling the environment is one key. 

Some spiritual thoughts I have been having...I am feeling so much gratitude for the blessings in our lives.  The answers to prayers and how faith building life can be.  I am so happy for the things we have been able to accomplish lately with a lot of determination and help from each other.  It has been a hard year but a good one in terms of overcoming and moving forward.  The hard years teach us the most.  Must be part of the plan, right?

Someone I am praying for this week...Susan Todd, my dear friend from Florida that fell and broke her hip on the second day of her vacation with Nellie.  Double bummer.  Then she had to have surgery to boot.  She is still not home.  Susie we love you and are praying for your speedy recovery.  I know you must be missing your babies so much!  

Also praying for Stephen, Ben, Annabelle, Kelly and April, and all of our family.  Saying a lot of special prayers for Hazie going in for a big surgery on November 10th.  All the dads-in law to our kids, Spencer, Bryant, and Read need prayers too.  It is a blessing to pray for the people in our lives we love so much.  Get well all of you!  We feel your pain with you, more than you know.



Quote from~The Fault In Our Stars!

I am missing...all of the above very much.  And a lot of other people I don't get to see as often as I wish I could.

I am hearing...Collin Raye~I Think About You!  How perfect!

One of my pleasures...writing to people and texting and just making the connection with people I cannot see often.  And seeing the people that I can often.  Not enough hours in the day.  I am not a party person in anyway but I do enjoy one on one with others very much.

Pet Peeves...when I go shopping for food and forget one or two things that I really needed.  Ugh!   A list you say?  I have one all right, but I forget something anyway.

Past Remembrance...I am thinking about our kids that are in Scotland this week.  Our first trip to Scotland was life changing.  We love that place and as we wrote them a list of things not to miss we practically relived it.  Love when that happens.  And if I have written notes or a story about the trip it really comes back when reread.  That is the best.  That was our first trip to Europe and positively enchanting.

I am quoting...Pinterest...I believe this, especially written words.



If I could change one thing it would be...that my tooth that broke will not cost $6 or 7 thousand to fix with an implant. I think I want a new computer, and a trip to see our kids and a new family room carpet more.  The fix is strictly cosmetic and I think I'll be getting use to having that little space since it is a posterior tooth anyway.  Sheesh...more expensive than my diamond ring. Way more!  Outrageous!  

When you see people walking around without teeth...don't judge.  That is a pile of money.  One of my friends is having four done soon.  They cut her a "deal" only $20.000. So she's cashing out a part of her retirement to do it.

An enjoyable movie/ TV show we have watched lately...The Fault In Our Stars. Very touching movie.

I am curious about...how much stress presenting in a big conference would produce? I nearly croaked doing the two presentations I did last week at Digging For Your Roots with a few hundred people attending.  I love doing things like that though because it truly stretches you and makes you so painfully aware of the work and contributions of others.

Plans for the rest of the week...recovery mode from the conference as it had to be put on hold this past week.  A doctor appointment this coming week.  A couple of meetings.  Hanging out with the hubster, work, just enjoying my favorite season and getting some housework done as the holidays are approaching. I like to do some deep cleaning before I decorate.  I'd love to go out and take some cool pictures of the foliage.  Mani/Pedi.  Sheesh, that is enough.

One of my favorite things...staying home at night and just relaxing after a very hard day of working which usually started around 5:00 or 6:00 AM for both of us.  I am a total home body and we love our British TV series that we watch on Netflix. There are so many good ones.  I had no idea.

One thing that made me so happy this past week...getting my free time back today for writing.  That genealogy conference was on my calendar since March and took more out of me than I realized until it was over.  I cannot tell you how many times that passed through my mind over those many months. The best part is now I have classes I can easily teach other places.  The hard part is over...the preparation.

The most surprising thing this past week...Being able to meet a wonderful a lady from Provo on Pinterest, sending her a comment about her boards and becoming friends on Facebook a few weeks ago. Then having her post a status update about a Private Beyond 5 Concert that she was organizing for 100 lucky kids.  

Well our granddaughters are big fans and I arranged to get two tickets and surprise them.   They were so excited!  Two of the five boys are going on a mission soon so the group is disbanding temporarily.  

She then sent me a picture of her granddaughter with three girls in it from a previous concert.  She said, "My granddaughter is on the right! To which I replied...and my granddaughter is on the left!  How amazing is that?  Considering there are millions of pinners on Pinterest..it is quite astonishing.  Julia and her daughter already know each other!  


In the process I learned that she is very interested in doing her family history and I will be helping her soon.  I love serendipity like that.  The girls are at the concert this very minute as I have been writing this Daybook all day long in bits and pieces.


A photo I am sharing this week...




                       Speechless....finally!                           



UNTIL THE NEXT DAYBOOK,

 BE HAPPY AND CARRY ON!



1 comments:

sistersusiesays said...

Getting caught up! I'm still in rehab. Nellie brought me my laptop so I can get caught up!

OUTSIDE...sun shining brightly, some sensation of fall!
THANKFUL...for all Jim and Nellie are doing for me since my fall.
LEARNING...what it means to have patience when you can't do for yourself!
READING...Get well cards from so many people!!! I didn't realize I knew so many people.
KITCHEN...I have a reprieve.
SPIRITUAL...GOD is in control of everything. I hope His timing hurries up :-)
PRAYING...Thank you so much. I pray Hazel's surgery was a complete success!
MISSING...my animals, especially Dolly (dog). She is so confused! I shall not see my 17 year old Sarah cat when I go home. She passed away in her bed Nellie had made for her.
HEARING...the creaking of the bed when I use the controls!
PLEASURES...looking forward to going home...whenever that may be.
HEARING...the breakfast cart coming down the hallway!
PET PEEVE...lights on in the middle of the night, noise from changing shifts in the middle of the night, neighbor needing assistance throughout the night! Sleep depredation! I'll be glad when I can go home to my own bed.
REMEMBRANCE...what I could do before, but can't do now.
CHANGE...that I would not have fallen on the concrete, but the grass!
MOVIE...none lately.
CURIOUS...At just how feeble the body can become!
PLANS...therapy, therapy, therapy.
FAVORITE...memories of good health. Praise the LORD one Day that will no longer be a concern!
HAPPY...each time I see loving family and Friends.
SURPRISING...the passing of my Sarah kitty and I wasn't there for her.

Life goes on. I'm so glad my LORD knows the path He has me going. Love to you all, Susan